HybridZ

fender exhaust??

Ja1991

I'm thinking about running my exhaust out of my front fender and was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this? It will basically be a downpipe running.off my turbo. Is it ok to cut 3 and a 1/4 inch hole through the support and fender or will this affect the structural integrity of my car?

Sure you can!  How about you shoot a picture of the panel you want to put a hole in and use a grease pencil to show where you want to put the hole?  Then we could discuss this intelligently.  Guys have been c-notching frames and chassis components for years.  You just gotta be smart about it.  Either, put the hole in the middle of a non-structural panel, or reinforce any structural panel that you put a hole in.  If I built a purpose-built drag Z, I would definitely use fender exit.  Otherwise, you spend tons of time removing and reinstalling your exhaust to do maintenance on the drivetrain.  You gotta build a race car for easy maintenance, because you will spend more time fixing your car than driving it, so make everything as easy as possible.  That includes a minimal exhaust system.  The underside of the Z car is very cramped, but there is enough room in the back of the front fenderwells to store a medium suit case (or a dead body).  Might as well use the space.  Following this topic.

Can you post a picture of where it exits? Are the exhaust fumes bad? I plan in driving the car often, don't care about noise, just fumes.

Not good for fumes right now it points straight down at the ground about 12 inches directly behind the front tire. its a drag car. 

Cutting a hole in anything will cause it to be less stable. Especially a hole that big. These cars are made of thin Jap tin anyway and are fatigued 35 years or more. And you want to cut a hole in it. 

Also since you are concerned about exhaust fumes and say you're going to be driving often, why are you doing this? Just for looks?

You can just weld a piece of tubing into the defect and it will pretty well replace the strength that is lost. Maybe use a scab patch to give more meat to weld to, then cut your hole and weld a short piece of tubing in. You do have to think about heat burning up any component that the exhaust passed by either in the hot tubing or directly from the exhaust. As Stoney's photo shows, the brake master is in a bad place (note his heat shield and fiberglass wrap). I think SCCA wants the exhaust to exit behind the driver, but NHRA doesn't seem to care. Many states dont have safety or smog check so you shpuld be fine there. I had fender exit exhaust straight pipe for a year and with a clean air-fuel ratio, the feims were WAY better than they ever were when I had filthy poorly tuned SUs and an exit in the stock location. But, for cockpit sound control you got to get the exit out from under the car. The sound trapped between the ground and your floor pans will make you crazy. Just have it kick out the side and it isn't too bad. What are you thinking muffler-wise? You will be serious cop bait for noise (double standard for Harleys). I always watched for cops and coasted by them in neutral. Also, freaks out the little chicks working a drivethru window!

I was thinking just straight pipe. I live in Michigan so no emissions. I also plan on getting a historical car plate, I see old American cars running around all the time with just headers and or straight pipes so I figure why not my car. It will mostly be a track car but I do plan to drive it occasionally during the week. This is just an idea, I do have a whole 3 inch mandrel bent pipe kit I was going to fab up but I figured this would be cool/different.

I was thinking just straight pipe. I live in Michigan so no emissions. I also plan on getting a historical car plate, I see old American cars running around all the time with just headers and or straight pipes so I figure why not my car. It will mostly be a track car but I do plan to drive it occasionally during the week. This is just an idea, I do have a whole 3 inch mandrel bent pipe kit I was going to fab up but I figured this would be cool/different.

I'm not talking about emission . 25 yrs and older is emission exempt in Texas . But the tailpipe has to exist pass driver seat to make it street legal , I was told by the inspector . For the Z it has to be either at the back ( OE location ) or after the rear tire w/ tip pointing out .

Only if they check. We should all relax a bit before we all start speaking Syrian and praying facing to the east four times a day. I ran a Tupperware container as a tail light for three years in high school and I never got pulled over. The safety inspector even signed off on it. What kind of "track" for the track car? Many road race tracks and autocross facilities have strict sound limits now. Some drag strips allow headers till a certain hour, then mufflers until closing time. So, have a contingency plan to make the car quiet if you have to.

Yeah, even WITH a muffler (borla XR1), I have been getting sound warnings.  It is the SCCA and ascot set mostly, but they are really just trying to keep their tracks open in communities that are trying to squeeze them out with sound complaints.  The drag racing guys don't really care because the venues are further out in the woods.  You just tell them you have a muffler and it is good to go-they aren't checking decibels.  But, there is no reason why you couldn't try to fit a muffler in there, even a short one.  They make a very short little bullet muffler that would answer the question (but it doesn't quiet the car-just meets the requirement of HAVING a muffler.  There is room in the back of the fender for a muffler if you put your mind to it.  Also, you could do cut-outs to have the best of both worlds.  If you have wanted fender exhaust for years, there is NO reason why you shouldn't have it.  These cars have very little value to anyone but us, so go crazy and have fun.  What kind of racing are you hoping to do?