HybridZ

LS gas tank

If you're referring to the F Body gas tank, yes.  SEVERAL people have done this with success. The main problem is the fuel filler neck is on the wrong side, so you have to turn the tank 180* to maintain functionality. This makes fuel go away from the pump under acceleration. Not sure what problems people are seeing, but for the work involved, I'd sooner do a cell, or a fab'd tank like mine.

I modified a stock tank for an internal sump. Actually I paid someone to do it. Works great-no fuel starvation down to empty even at drags. But, I wish I had cut out spare and done a cell. Just simpler in the end. Gives room for dual exhaust, second fuel pick up for future nitrous system and redundant fuel pump. .

Edited by RebekahsZ

If you're referring to the F Body gas tank, yes.  SEVERAL people have done this with success. The main problem is the fuel filler neck is on the wrong side, so you have to turn the tank 180* to maintain functionality. This makes fuel go away from the pump under acceleration. Not sure what problems people are seeing, but for the work involved, I'd sooner do a cell, or a fab'd tank like mine.

I'm in the process of installing the plastic fuel tank in my z.  The tank is from a 2002 Camaro, and came complete with the fuel pump.  Make sure that's how you purchase your tank.  These pumps tend to be expensive, so get it with the tank.   I believe the 99-02 Camaro/Trans Am have this style of tank.  So far it has been very straight forward.  Better system as far as set up and fuel delivery also, and the filler neck is on the correct side.  There is no need to rotate the tank!  As I progress, I have taken pictures and will continue to do so.  My tank installation should be complete this Saturday afternoon.(Sept. 7)   Once it is complete, I'll be happy to share the pictures with you.

Keep in mind the 98 gas tanks are metal, the fuel filler neck is metal as well and not removable, so unless you hack it off and clamp on rubber hose it is definitely not going to work.

I'm running a stock 280Z tank with an external walbro 255 and a corvette filter/regulator. Never had any starvation issues that I know of.

-Will

I used a 15 gallon universal fuel cell and put the fuel cap behind the license plate.  If I had the $$ I would've got a custom tank built to fit the factory fuel door.  I agree with rebekahsz because I've got 2 -10AN outputs ready for nitrous/power adders and it's new and clean and simple... And as usual you have to cutout the spare tire well.  Good luck with your routing and it's easy to hookup the walbro 255 and corvette fpr setup.  I just wish my tank was shallower because it shows from behind the car...

I have the mustang for a drag car. This car will be setup for road course and street. I'm going to look for a newer camaro gas tank the fuel nice on the correct side. It sounds like a good choice. I want the pump inside the tank as I hate the noise from externals. Anyone have pictures of there setup? Curious of how people held them in place.

PM DarthZ about the fuel cell he put in his 240Z.  It is where the spare goes, is metal, doesn't hang low, holds 17 gallons,and the filler comes out behind the license plate.

I'm old school and just stuck with stock 280Z tank and the external fuel pump. BTW -the only time I hear my fuel pump is when I turn the ignition switch to accessory and listen to it pressurize the system.  After that I can't hear it.

Edited by Phantom