HybridZ

Billet rear suspension crossmember-anybody tried one of these?

I was pricing some parts to sell on ebay and stumbled across this billet rear crossmember.  I have long been frustrated with how wide the stock crossmember is, and how difficult it is to get around it to torque the driveshaft.  This looks narrower and I was thinking about getting one.  Anybody have an opinion or any experience with this product?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151105006500&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I have one and I had to machine about a 1/4" off the left side to get it to fit and also had to enlarge the holes on the right side. Other than that it is a nice piece. The stock ones also have wider/longer holes on the right side so that that was expected.

About five times a year. And I cuss every time. I have already made two modifications to the stock crossmember and am contemplating another. And another. If you race, you gotta make it easy to fix broken stuff. If you think about it, a paint job is just bling, but most people have one.

Three times due to damaging it but only one total failure (I inspect after every race night and replace anything twisted or cracked). I plan to drop the driveshaft early this winter for clutch inspection and bellhousing upgrade. May drop it again for a differential change out. I am under the car on my back at least once a week.

Madkaw, I saw a post once where the crossmember was cut away leaving only the saddle mounts for the control arm bushings-that might have been you? I considered this mod too, but I need the crossmember for rigidity of the back of the tranny tunnel. I am also considering integrating the crossmember and my RT mount via bolts with sway bar link style bushings. This portion of the car takes a beating.

Nix240z- did you just have to go up a few drill bit sizes on the hole enlargement or did you have to router them out to elongate/slot them?

Madkaw, so it would seem, and so it was on my buddies car which has headers only and no exhaust pipe. But on my car, the exhaust runs under that crossmember. Soooo, to get room to torque the driveshaft, I have to drop the exhaust AND the bracket. If I didn't need the strength or tie-in that the crossmember provides, I would so totally cut it away, leaving only the saddles. I think that is a great mod for low hp cars. Totally resolves a lot of access issues.

Try socket-head driveshaft bolts. An Allen wrench on the socket makes driveline installation/removal a snap.

You may want to have some flanges installed in your exhaust system at logical break points so sections can be dropped out for easy access/removal of driveshaft, transmission,  differential, gas tank and  etc.

My main reason for not removing the rear suspension crossmember is that I like it as a jacking point for the car. If you go to just the R/T mount, where do you guys jack the car up then? These old cars and images of rusty ones punching and crushing things always has me afraid when it comes to jacking these things up.