HybridZ

Eccentric Throttle Wheel

mutantZ

I am getting one of the custom plenum intakes currently going on the group buy thread here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/101620-l6-intake-manifold-group-buy/

Most people seem to be opting for the Q45 throttle plate, as I am doing as well, mostly for convenience of getting the base made. I assume if I don't like the performance of it, it's much easier to neck down an adapter plate for a smaller throttle body than to do the inverse. While looking around on other forums about how to deal with the issues of tip in on a large throttle bore, I cam across this eccentric wheel made for the drifter scene. I am not sure how the offsets work, but I was wondering if this might solve some of the tip in issues. If not, I'll just nip the problem in the bud and go for a 240sx throttle bore and lose some of my "street cred" bling out of my engine bay.

Here is the link to the wheel:

http://www.gktech.com/index.php/v2-s14a-s15-eccentric-throttle-wheel.html

I've looked into this as well, but couldn't figure out a way to mount it to the throttle rod on my triple carb setup so I never bought it.

From what I read about it and from a logic standpoint, it should make tip-in and initial throttle movements easier to manipulate. I say go for it as long as you think you can attach it to the TB. ~$40 isn't much if it works and improves drivability, but then again it's your money!

There is a complex linkage already installed on the throttle body that is a non-linear throttle pull.

I thought that there was an issue due to the fact the non linear pull was being tailored to a much larger displacement engine? I believe it was covered in this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/54034-big-throttle-bodies-why/

I was specifically curious (also to avoid this thread getting chucked in the shed) if anyone has any success using that cam linkage. I'll prob give it a shot since its only $40 and I don't want to hold up the group buy. I know people have talked about an eccentric linkage before but so far I haven't seen a solution for it other than sticking with a smaller TB.

I used a similar wheel on my triples, but it had a split in it, and a clamping collar---it was designed to be put onto the 10mm rod on a set of triples.

A little threading of the rod, and flling some flats on the end of the triples rod and that would fit on the end just like on any other throttle body. Though I like the one I have...

Great Minds think alike Mutant---you can always make an adapter plate and go smaller!

So far, it's been fine...the majority of the drivability isses with the Q-ship throttle are that it's HUGE for the engine, and 90% of people strip the non-linear throttle linkage off because "it's ugly, I want it to be clean!". Big mistake.

Also, using the internal warmup is a cool trick, water runs through the TB and operates a wax-stat to hold the throttle open for warmup. It's a nice feature!

So far, it's been fine...the majority of the drivability isses with the Q-ship throttle are that it's HUGE for the engine, and 90% of people strip the non-linear throttle linkage off because "it's ugly, I want it to be clean!". Big mistake.

Also, using the internal warmup is a cool trick, water runs through the TB and operates a wax-stat to hold the throttle open for warmup. It's a nice feature!

Nice, I'll give the stocker a try first, if I don't like it I'll try out this link.

Q-ship...I think that name sums up that car pretty well!

I run my L28et with flattops and taking off from a light with even 40% throttle has me hitting full boost very quickly causing me to drop to about 10% throttle in order to accelerate in a non-aggressive manner.

This is with the stock throttle body.

A 90mm throttle body flows more at smaller throttle openings than a smaller one so, in my case (flattops), it would be pretty non-fun having to modulate it since it's already difficult.

I've been using this setup pictured here for many years and once used something similar when we replaced a Z24 with a L20b webers in a truck.

It leaves only one belcrank in the equation as compared to a stock linkage which has more.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7376/9740858935_ae10ba1772_c.jpg

If your 90mm throttle body is unmanageable to drive, you might try a stock porsche 944 cam which I picked up at the local yard for 6 bucks..

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/2001/images/clip_image002_002.jpg

Edited by HowlerMonkey

As the monkey pointed towards, there are eccentric plates everywhere in the OEM world. I'd only buy the $40 part posted above if my time spent in a junkyard wasn't worth my time.

You could also just as easily make something if you're handy with basic fab tools. I could probably get away making one with only a drill press handy. 

Also remember that there are other places to add eccentricity into the system...