HybridZ

DIY header collectors from www.coneeng.com

JMortensen

Just got these in, they look pretty damn cool so I thought I'd share. It's a collector with a "bullet" or "spike" to smooth the transition from the end of the 4 primaries to the collector. I hadn't ever heard of these but read a page on side pipe testing and they tried them and found a pretty consistent 11 hp on a motor that was making something like 500 hp if I recall.

Cone Engineering (www.coneeng.com) makes 3 to 1 collectors too. This is a "merge collector" like Burns Stainless sells as well. I wanted 2.5" collectors, so this narrows to 2" and then tapers back out to 2.5. They have 3 different tapers, and say that the sharpest one has a larger effect on high end power and the slowest taper makes better low end. I picked the middle one. The collector kit with 2 collectors, 

These parts are mild steel but they have the same thing in stainless, and they have muffler parts too. Really cool stuff, and the mild steel collectors were $115. Seems pretty cheap for a serious looking piece. I don't mind the DIY aspect when compared to the price of the Burns equivalent.

post-553-0-95683600-1379111311_thumb.jpg

post-553-0-84505800-1379111312_thumb.jpg

Edited by JMortensen

I had Adam at Columbia River Mandrel Bends make me a 3-1. I tried and made one for one side of my turbo manifolds--never again. Way too much trouble with the tools I have. It turned out great, and was $120:

post-1233-0-77181500-1379126956_thumb.jpg

post-1233-0-23562000-1379126958_thumb.jpg

post-1233-0-53536500-1379126959_thumb.jpg

It's 1-1/4" SCH 10 pipe, with a 60mm ID outlet. 14 degree merge angle. Whenever, if ever, I get around to redoing the side I made the merge on, I'll have him build me another.

Edited by BLOZ UP

Thanks for posting, Jon! Exactly what I have been looking for! I am planning to mod my Sanderson street rod headers to gain clearance and to better fit a 2-1/2" exhaust. I knew from initial mock-up the collectors needed to go but I didn't have a solution for replacement. Burns has nice stuff but damn, 2 of their merge collectors just about doubles the cost of my headers.

chris