HybridZ

Coming Soon to Police Departments Across the Country

johnc

Just can't get worried about it here in central Washington.  Roads are covered with restored classic Detroit iron that is bound to pollute more than my Z. They start picking on those guys and it will get ugly really fast.

Edited by Phantom

Wonder if they'll monitor police, fire, ambulance & other vehicles as well?!  Yea right.  Suggested the other day while walking out of the hospital to the first [of nearly 10 ambulances-all idling for the 45 min I was there] that they could save some fuel and pollute less by simply turning the key off.  They didn't seem to like my suggestion...

Honestly, if it passes a tailpipe sniffer it needs to be legal. That should be the end of the discussion; in my opinion.

Stuff like this just costs me more in tax money, fees, penalties, state job wages, and headaches. It never really solves a pollution problem.

There is no smog exemption for vehicles model year 1975or earlier. There is an exemption from the bi-annual and time of sale inspection but ALL cars in California must comply with the smog laws that apply to the vehicle model year. Please search. This has been discussed here for over a decade.

There was something like that here in NZ for a while, a spectrographic laser shining across the motorway at tailpipe height matched to a camera further up the road that caught the plate as the car went past the laser. Only effective when one car at a time went past so single lane road only or low traffic periods. but the laser beam was read by a sensor on the far side which measured what spectrum bands were being absorbed diffracted by the tailpipe gasses.

I don't think it was linked to enforcement, just research.