HybridZ

240z L28et - Advice on making more power

halokilller

I am running a 83 zxt l28et with a big front mount intercooler, 12 psi boost, msd fuel pump,  cold air intake, 3" exhaust, stock downpipe, 280zx n/a trans, r200 lsd with aftermarket half-shafts, all running on a z31 300zx ecu 

The car runs great and is plenty fast but I was wondering what the best option would be to get to the 400hp level. 

I was thinking of getting bigger injectors, bigger turbo and msa downpipe and pushing my luck on the n/a trans

Would the 300zx ecu be sufficient for this power level or will I absolutely have to upgrade to a standalone ecu like megasquirt? 

Am I missing anything? I am new to the L6 platform and would appreciate any help, thanks!

There are multiple mass air meters that will handle that kind of power, and multiple ways to make it work.

My advice? Get Nistune setup on a 300ZXT ECU and tune what you have, then move to a Z32 or a Q45 MAF IF you need it. 300HP in a Z or ZX is a LOT of fun, and a lot of power for a street car. 400HP and you'll have a lot more problems than just the transmission...which will NOT handle 400HP and driven semi-hard, and it'll be beaten down pretty quick at 300HP unless you're a very smooth driver.

Get ready for a Z32 transmission swap if you're not slick as snot shifting, or intend to do any kind of drag racing or rough treatment of the transmission.

If you're not afraid of some tuning/wiring, etc I'd say go aftermarket. I'm one who has Nistune and really like it, but for the price and time in it especially if you're going to put some money into converting to the Z31 stuff, might as well take that money and go MS.

Seen too many 71B's torn up from less-than-smooth shifting behind higher power L engines, mine included. (learned to drive on this 345,000 mile S12 trans...there were some PIO moments that were really rough!)

Mostly the up-and-down shifting with less than great revmatches starts to loosen up the mainshaft nut, and the clack-clack on shifts gets pretty loud. It doesn't take long from that point...