HybridZ

What is the largest tire that can be fit in a stock wheel well (suspension interference aside)

I'd considering going back to a stock body, and I want to know how large of a tire can be fit on the rear of a stock bodied S30.

Not how big you can go with suspension limitations. (Hitting the strut tube, etc.)

Can someone measure the inside of the wheel well from the fender lip (specify if rolled or not) to the body (on either side of cutout for the strut tower).

I would GREATLY appreciate this!

Hope this helps a bit. I run 16X8.25" wheels with 0 backspacing with 225/50/R16 tires. The tires are less than 1/8 from the springs, and (with the car dropped 1.5") rub on the un-rolled fenders. With fenders rolled it juuust clears. 

Cheers.

If you are talking about going with the stock wheels, the recommended limit is based on the width of the tread. The tread width should be equal to the wheel width plus or minus a half inch.

I have 6" rims on 14" wheels running 205/70R14 on a Series I 240Z at stock height. The overall diameter is ever so slightly larger than the OEM 175 HR 14 tires.

I will have a rear tire off later today. I will use a tape measure from the fender arch to the inner fender apron right where the strut cutout is. I will measure both sides of strut tube and both sides of the car. My fender lip was recently trimmed about 3/8" to allow for the 9" slicks. Sounds to me like somebody is going solid axle and wants to know if tubbing is necessary. I have pushed the pairing of camber adjustment and LCA shortening to the point that i have pretty well hit the limit of what can fit if your car is lowered. If I shove my camber plates in all the way (one notch in from where it sits now), there is only a gnat's ass clearance between the inner fender and the tire and maybe 1/2" to the outer fender arch. With a 10.3" section width, the 9" Hoosier is maxed in my arch. With a 10" Hoosier, the section width jumps to 11.7". No way that will fit. The tread fits, so if I didn't actually drive the car, I would be fine, but with sidewall bulge, I'd be blowout city on the first clutch dump or bump. I have a buddy with 10" MT slicks on Draglites with 8" rim. I'm adjusting camber tomorrow for autocross Sunday. If I can get him to bring a wheel by, I will let you know how it fits with camber plate pushed in. The problem for me is sidewalls, not tread width.

SUNNY????? What is wrong with you and what on earth are you considering? Here I am with stock fenders planning to cut them, and there you are with cut fenders and you want to go back to stock??

LOL. Maybe we should just switch cars for a while Keith!

I will have a rear tire off later today. I will use a tape measure from the fender arch to the inner fender apron right where the strut cutout is. I will measure both sides of strut tube and both sides of the car. My fender lip was recently trimmed about 3/8" to allow for the 9" slicks. Sounds to me like somebody is going solid axle and wants to know if tubbing is necessary. I have pushed the pairing of camber adjustment and LCA shortening to the point that i have pretty well hit the limit of what can fit if your car is lowered. If I shove my camber plates in all the way (one notch in from where it sits now), there is only a gnat's ass clearance between the inner fender and the tire and maybe 1/2" to the outer fender arch. With a 10.3" section width, the 9" Hoosier is maxed in my arch. With a 10" Hoosier, the section width jumps to 11.7". No way that will fit. The tread fits, so if I didn't actually drive the car, I would be fine, but with sidewall bulge, I'd be blowout city on the first clutch dump or bump. I have a buddy with 10" MT slicks on Draglites with 8" rim. I'm adjusting camber tomorrow for autocross Sunday. If I can get him to bring a wheel by, I will let you know how it fits with camber plate pushed in. The problem for me is sidewalls, not tread width.

I'm tossing sevreal things around Keith. One them being solid axle. Your take on this is more helpful than most - because they are still considering the strut tube location.  I most certainly could do a straight axle with what my last IRS setup cost, but that puts me in a whole 'nother class when it comes to racing and events.  If I can keep the IRS, but modify it  :)  then I can put a larger tire under a stock body. Who cares what the inner fenders look like, right?!

How cool would it be to have an IRS setup that could utilize a 28x 10.50 slick, but sit under a stock body??!?!

Probably just a pipe dream, but its a long cold winter!

Hell yeah, break out the torch and sledge! Remove carpets first. And I'm game for a trade-say the word! From my perspective that would be a trade UP! Any new timeslips or experiences since the clutch? What's your take on a clutch "break-in period?". Im taking a break from straight lines this weekend to get twisty! Just took my old slicks to wfritts911 in Arkansas. He did an 8.8 IRS in his yard this summer but due to funds he did an open diff, so he's still one-leggin it. Said his one trip to the track on street tires he had trouble keeping it straight under power. May be just working from a string alignment. I'm contemplating buying a SRA Z a couple hours away from here. Hoping to put eyes on it in a couple weekends. Would be nice to be able to drive to closest track and bring home some cash for a change. Also hoping to get down to 1/4-mile track to try once more for a 10.99999....

I would love to, but I have already taken that 10" slick off. I also have trouble getting good angles for the photos. I just got tool-shedded on another topic for not searching after spending about a week of doing research on the topic. For the moment I'm in the hate phase of my love/hate relationship with hybridz and am not real inclined to do anything for the betterment of the forum. Give me a while to shake it off.

Mike,

What is the overall tire diameter on the fronts? I'm using 225 up front and seem to have plenty of room to go wider but I'm afraid of hitting the fender/airdam in the front when turning.

I'm assuming this question fits the OP's request since there was no mention of front or back in the header.

Joe

I'm running 26x10 Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro's on 15x8 Weld wheels (4.5" backspacing) on the silver '73 240 in my sig.  Lips have a mild roll.  I've previously ran 245/60-15's and 255/60-15's.  I have 280 rear struts with Suspension Techniques 240z rear springs.  I have a friend running 15x7 Welds, also with 280 rear struts, tokico springs, rolled lips, and taller tires (i think 27").