HybridZ

Can stock fuel wire handle 2 pumps?

I had my MSD 2225 install when I first got the car. However , the pump making loud noise. I am planning install an inline micro pickup pump in hope reducing the noise. The question is if the stock fuel wiring system can handle an additional pump? How about relay, fuse and other components? 

Thanks

Unless I top off the tank, otherwise it will make noise when tank is half full or less. This is normal for the MSD 2225 . I read review before I bought the pump and knew it would make noise but this is getting annoying. It is louder than my exhaust and sound like my Z is an electric car with the noise.

I read article that install a pick up pump would solve the problem. 

And where do I get the painless fuel pump relay?? Thanks.

Edited by 9rider

I hear that's just a noisy pump, I don't know that adding another pump will reduce the noise that much, and it sounds like a PITA.  Why not use a Bosch -044 pump?  They are quiet and flow just as much.

BTW, the wiring would probably support two pumps, but I rewired my fuel pump with AWG12 anyway, it was not difficult.

Edited by SleeperZ

Always include details about  your car when asking for help: Make, model, year, engine swap and other modifications done to the car.   

Most electric fuel pumps make noise. How you mount them can reduce noise inside the car.  I like the noise as it is a sign my pump is alive.

If you start rewiring the fuel pump be sure not to bypass any of the stock fuel pump safety features. You don't want the fuel pump to continue running if you wreck the car.

You need to start a collection of Z car factory service manuals and links to Z clubs and parts suppliers. Google and HybridZ searchs will find 95% of them

Post some pictures of the fuel pump installation.

I did working in my 1976 280z. I mounted it in the same location. Drilled and fab the stock plate for the new pump to fit in and mount it as low as possible. 

603956_369233136518921_917034416_n.jpghttps:/

The picture was before I add some rubber to damper the noise down where the pump meet the plate. I not quite sure if the fuel pressure damper could have cause the problem and didn't remove it out for test yet.

I would highly rec that you use fuel injection hose clamps on the pressure side . You can try and add a lift pump but I don't think it's necessary . I would check your fuel pick up tube ( in the tank ) to make sure it's in good shape , no holes ( rusted through ) . You stated that it works better with full tank , this leads me thinking something is wrong with the pick up tube , sucking air when fuel level is low .

I originally ran a Walbro, and couldn't stand the noise. I ran a Bosch 044 afterwards and even still it was getting noisy. I see you have yours mounted horizontal which is good. I found a couple things though, the stock Z wiring in my opinion is not a good choice for an aftermarket pump. I was seeing as much as a 1v drop between the relay and the pump after running for a bit. I also found the stock relay that I pulled from my old 280ZXT with the harness was getting quite hot. When looking through threads pertaining to the Z31 ECU and swapping over on Z31Performance I found a post by JeffP where he was encountering pretty much the same issues. Finding that the old relays were really not good enough for newer high flow pumps, and the wiring was way too small. His solution was to run a bigger relay and much larger wire. I remounted my pump as low as I could so it would be sitting just below the tank outlet and the pump would get as much fuel via gravity vs. having to pull it. I ended up using a bigger relay, and 10 gauge wiring for my pump. The 10 gauge may be over kill and 12 gauge as SleeperZ mentioned is probably more than enough. After doing these things I was seeing at most only a .3v drop between the relay and pump + terminal. Now my pump runs nice and quiet. Before I was having the same issues as you. Louder than the exhaust. I was also about to add in a secondary low volume pump. I would only recommend this if you're mounting the pump elsewhere. Some people like to mount it up high, or in the engine bay, if you mount it there, then the low volume pump will be an advantage in helping the main pump get it's supply without overworking it. Otherwise work on improving your wiring and making sure the pump is positioned well and you should be fine.

Edited by DuoWing

So I'm taking it most guys don't run a fused 8 or 10ga to the back on a terminal block, and use the stock FP wires as a relay trigger to aftermarket pumps using 10 or 12 ga feeder wires?

Huh...

I found that big feed wire on a fusible link was great for taking power to all sorts of gadgets and accessories back there...

Edited by Tony D

I am running the same MSD fuel pump on my 76. I re-used the stock fuel pump mounting brackets which 'suspend' the pump away from the mounting plate. The MSD provided brackets do not quieten the vibrations as much as the stock designed by Datsun ones. Even if they are properly insulated with rubber. It is interesting that my old 1989 190e Mercedes had the same idea to suspend 2 fuel pumps on 4 rubber donuts to make them quiet.

As the previous poster noted, the MSD pump does need to be in a lower than stock position to allow better suction. If the pump is having bad flow, it will make noises.  I removed the stock dampener - I installed the inline electric fuel pressure sender with a gauge inside the cabin before and after (with and without the dampener). The fuel pressure was steady and didn't fluctuate in both cases. Once I saw that, I felt no guilt getting rid of the Datsun engineering :-)

Regards!

I think that fuel damper serve the purpose of quite down the noise isn't it? I will take it down and see what happen. I don't have a fancy electronic FPG but I have a mechanical inline install behind the fuel filter , I will see if fuel pressure drop.