HybridZ

1978 Fairlady 280z value

JSM

Found a z rusty as can be. Was thinking of purchasing just to move the parts. Is there anything that is worth that much for the effort? The car is $600.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/jeffreysm/3280F146-220F-41D9-9581-252E84A2EBF5-7290-00001247FF98D103_zps42cee046.jpg

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/jeffreysm/?action=view&current=697F3E05-842F-4685-9BDE-948497A50592-7290-0000124A5BE73C06_zps3aa38dd3.jpg

Edited by JSM

The rear end is probably a 3.9 r200. Worth maybe 150. And those wheels for maybe 100. And then the engine. If the rear tailights aren't cracked I'll take those. And maybe the hood if it's in good condition. Maybe the subframe and control arms if you can sit on them for a while. But other than that I don't see much value. Now if you could get it for half that I would.

Edit: front strut tubes and brakes for 510 guys that go to coilovers.

Edited by BluDestiny

No not running.  I was thinking of all the right hand drive parts.  Dash, steering rack, etc. for a right hand conversion.  I guess if were S30 then the interest for a right hand conversion would be more.

The other parts are fairly easy to come by.

Nope, S130's started in June of 1978 at least. My HS130-002XXX is an early July production vehicle.

The black 5 speed 2+2 in my yard like that was given to me...it has rust, but not that bad.

Do NOT assume, ESPECIALLY on a 2+2 that there is a "RACK" on it.... Power, or otherwise. They too could have Recirculating ball steering with a drag link!

And Alan is correct, it was a Fairlady 280Z or Fairlady Z if 2-Litre.

Yup, that's why I'm only interest IF it has a rack. I have the drag link version in my Skyline but a Fairlady rack is a nice upgrade with a little work. Didn't want to get into the whole ball vs rack discussion in the thread.

Nope, S130's started in June of 1978 at least. My HS130-002XXX is an early July production vehicle.

The black 5 speed 2+2 in my yard like that was given to me...it has rust, but not that bad.

Do NOT assume, ESPECIALLY on a 2+2 that there is a "RACK" on it.... Power, or otherwise. They too could have Recirculating ball steering with a drag link!

And Alan is correct, it was a Fairlady 280Z or Fairlady Z if 2-Litre.

Production date doesn't mean year model . I always go by the sticker in the engine compartment . 6 / 78 or even 8 / 78  could go either way , 78 or 79 model , depends on the make . We run into this problem a lot in my business ( automotive ) . If you order a part for a 78 at the parts store , will get an S30 part not an S130 part .

Edited by Domzs
  • Like 1

Production date doesn't mean year model . I always go by the sticker in the engine compartment . 6 / 78 or even 8 / 78  could go either way , 78 or 79 model , depends on the make . We run into this problem a lot in my business ( automotive ) .

Nissan didn't make cars according to "Year Model". I think you'll find that's mainly an American obsession, based on the activities of American automakers. These cars are Japanese. The S130-series started production and was sold to the general public in 1978, so a 1978 Fairlady 280Z is just that; A 1978 S130-series Fairlady 280Z.  

If you order a part for a 78 at the parts store, will get an S30 part not an S130 part.

I think the problem there would be that you asked for the wrong thing, and/or in the wrong way......

You should try ordering parts by their ( correct ) part numbers. Nissan and their suppliers made them according to the specific model they were designed to fit, not just some vernacular local idea of "year model". 

Nissan didn't make cars according to "Year Model". I think you'll find that's mainly an American obsession, based on the activities of American automakers. These cars are Japanese. The S130-series started production and was sold to the general public in 1978, so a 1978 Fairlady 280Z is just that; A 1978 S130-series Fairlady 280Z.  

I think the problem there would be that you asked for the wrong thing, and/or in the wrong way......

You should try ordering parts by their ( correct ) part numbers. Nissan and their suppliers made them according to the specific model they were designed to fit, not just some vernacular local idea of "year model". 

If you look at production date ( plate or label on the door or B pillar ) , most of the time it doesn't match with sticker or plate in the engine compartment . Like I stated before , when you are dealing with mid year production , it can go either way . The engine compartment label will be the correct year to go by and the VIN will match it . 

Part number would be an ideal way to order part . They are few parts on the car don't have part number and/or missing or damaged . When you call in for a part , you need to give correct year model ( label in the engine compartment ) . Most dealers prefer VIN and sometimes will ask for production date , especially for model like the 260Z .

Like 2014 cars , some will be built in 2013 , that don't make them 2013 models . I always use engine compartment label and VIN ( should the 10th digit on late models ) . The above picture is an S130 ( 280ZX ) , to my knowledge , 79-83 are S130s .

Domz, please stop trolling in this thread, it's counterproductive, and your comments are embarrassingly off-base/wrong/not applicable to the subject at hand.

As usual, Alan T is correct on this subject, and I will point out AGAIN my 1978 Fairlady 280Z (S130) was produced in the second week of July 1978, it has no ID Plate on the B-Pillar, it has no VIN on the (right or left side) Dash.

You are insisting on using incorrect market terminology in regards to the vehicle in question. Please stop it, you are doing nobody any favors!

And, production date does INDEED dictate year model in the USA! Anything after September of a given year is federally classified as the next years model. It's been that way for some time! You didn't even get the US stuff right.

Domz, please stop trolling in this thread, it's counterproductive, and your comments are embarrassingly off-base/wrong/not applicable to the subject at hand.

As usual, Alan T is correct on this subject, and I will point out AGAIN my 1978 Fairlady 280Z (S130) was produced in the second week of July 1978, it has no ID Plate on the B-Pillar, it has no VIN on the (right or left side) Dash.

You are insisting on using incorrect market terminology in regards to the vehicle in question. Please stop it, you are doing nobody any favors!

Does it have any kind of ID or VIN ? If yes , where ?

Just let it go. Tony is rarely wrong!

LOL . It's just kinda strange to me that Nissan/Datsun introduced 78 S130 and 78 S30 at the same time . I have been in this business for over 15 yrs. , I  haven't seen a new model car and old model car used the same year .