HybridZ

240 lower valance on 280?

alexx933

I've always preferred the look of the 240s but I settled for a 280 as there was much less rust than most for Washington state. I've already removed the bumpers to get a little closer to looking like the 240, but my favorite parts of the front of the 240 are the turn signals. Mine currently reside next to the head lights. Is bolting on a 240 lower valance, such as the one pictured, even an option? I don't want to install the 240 bumpers. 

In this thread http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/28647-simple-remove-and-replace-yeah-right/?hl=%2Blower+%2Bvalance , it seems as though I'd have to replace my headlight buckets. However, he was going from '75 to '72. I'd be going from '77 to '72. 

I also lack the ability to do much more than bolt on applications as I have no shop, heavy duty tools for fabrication, or fabrication skills. Bolt on applications would be preferred as well because there is a better chance of it looking stock as opposed to my first fab job.

Thanks!

post-36377-0-79294500-1382110665_thumb.jpg

I would like to do the same thing but keep all the lights. I have a 78 280 and I picked up 73 240 headlight buckets, valence, bumpers and turn signal pieces from the junk yard. I haven't gotten to where I see if they can all just cross over or not, but am interested in what you find out. I want a 280 with 240 turn signals.

I've put 240 front turn signals on a few 280s.  You don't need 240 headlight extensions.... those are the same unless you have the fiberglass ones like noted in the thread... even then I'm not sure what would be different about fiberglass extensions.  The valence corners and center pieces below the headlight extensions are what's different between the cars.  The shapes of the valence pieces are definitely different between 240s and 280s due to the car's structure behind these pieces.  There's more structure behind the valence pieces on 280 than on a 240.  One difference is the radiator core supports, but there are many other differences, as well.  Because of these differences, the stock 240 valence pieces are not just a simple bolt-on to a 280.

The easiest way to get 240 turn signals on a 280 is with an aftermarket front 240z spoiler.  Most will bolt on with no modifications required.  The Kaminari front spoiler that I like to use is an exception, though, and requires some cutting to make it work.

Here's a pic of the last 280 I converted to have 240 front bits:

med_gallery_212_736_125978.jpg

Edited by nullbound

I've put 240 front turn signals on a few 280s.  You don't need 240 headlight extensions.... those are the same unless you have the fiberglass ones like noted in the thread... even then I'm not sure what would be different about fiberglass extensions.  The valence corners and center pieces below the headlight extensions are what's different between the cars.  The shapes of the valence pieces are definitely different between 240s and 280s due to the car's structure behind these pieces.  There's more structure behind the valence pieces on 280 than on a 240.  One difference is the radiator core supports, but there are many other differences, as well.  Because of these differences, the stock 240 valence pieces are not just a simple bolt-on to a 280.

The easiest way to get 240 turn signals on a 280 is with an aftermarket front 240z spoiler.  Most will bolt on with no modifications required.  The Kaminari front spoiler that I like to use is an exception, though, and requires some cutting to make it work.

Here's a pic of the last 280 I converted to have 240 front bits:

med_gallery_212_736_125978.jpg

Good info! I've already acquired the 240 signals for my 77, and was going to get an 240Z air dam to go with them this winter. I had planned on just getting an MSA type 1 or similar, so that's all I need aside from adapting/extending the wiring? Chances are I'll leave both lights for now, but one set not powered. I was thinking of retrofitting fog lights where the 280 signals were in the grill. 

Good info! I've already acquired the 240 signals for my 77, and was going to get an 240Z air dam to go with them this winter. I had planned on just getting an MSA type 1 or similar, so that's all I need aside from adapting/extending the wiring? Chances are I'll leave both lights for now, but one set not powered. I was thinking of retrofitting fog lights where the 280 signals were in the grill. 

Yes, that's all you need. Simple wiring once you have the air dam and signals in place.  I removed the 280 turn signals on mine along with the ugly brackets (drilled out the spot welds) and then fitted some small "L" brackets so that I could attach a 240 grill (though the one in above pic is a 260 grill).  I also considered some round fog lights in that location, but never got around to that or to mounting 240 bumpers.  

I'll be doing this all over again on a '76 280 sometime soon.