HybridZ

Ground control vs T3 camber plates

Ok so im in the market for some camber plates for my 74 260z....i like the techno toy tuning ones ....but stumbled across these ground control ones ...there almost double the price as T3s...but i read up on the silverminemotors website that weld in camber plates is a poor engineering pratice.....Anyone have any imput on this matter or is this just a way for ground control to sell there camber plates over anyone else....

Ok so im in the market for some camber plates for my 74 260z....i like the techno toy tuning ones ....but stumbled across these ground control ones ...there almost double the price as T3s...but i read up on the silverminemotors website that weld in camber plates is a poor engineering pratice.....Anyone have any imput on this matter or is this just a way for ground control to sell there camber plates over anyone else....

I can't yet speak from experience, but I don't think there's anything wrong with weld in camber plates if it's welded properly, this would include beveling the stock sheet metal to expose all layers of metal, and welding on the top and bottom. A friend runs the ground control camber plates and regrets not just going with the weld in plates right off the bat as they require you slot so much out of the strut towers that you may just as well replace them. Not knocking Ground Control, they make great products, and are fantastic to deal with (they sponsored and helped develop suspension for our Evo III rally car), it just seems in this application, the small area of the strut towers doesn't seem to lend it's self as well to the bolt on plates. 

I have been using the Ground Control camber plates for more than ten years.  I have been very happy with them.  A feature that makes them very desirable is the spherical surface machined into the bottom of the camber plate between the camber plate and the upper spring perch.  This spherical surface allows the spring to align with the strut. 

I have never had the T3 camber plates in my hands, so I do not know if they have a similar feature.  But the pictures that I have seen lead me to believe that they do not.  Therefore it appears that as the spring compresses and the strut changes angle relative to the top of the strut tower that the top spring perch will not rotate with the centerline of the strut shaft.  If this is the case, the spring will be in bending.

If the T3 camber plate does not have a feature that keeps the top of the spring square to the strut, you don't want it.  If the T3 does not keep the spring properly aligned then spend the extra money on the Ground Control units.

T3 Plates here. Great product, but the key as stated is in the installation. You need to get them straight or you will be getting a camber and caster adjustment at the same time!  

They do include machined aluminum tops for the springs to keep them centered. 

Great pieces, even better service. Gabe is the man.

I did read that there's not much adjustable with the gc units ....is this the case ?

If you can get -3 camber you have all the adjustment you need for a S30.  If you need anything more out of the top of the strut your car is bent.  The answer is not, the GC plates have more then enough camber adjustment.

Gabe is great guy ...i ordered my coilovers from him ....im  just trying to get an explanation to why ground control says weld ins are not a good engineering practice but yet other companies make weld ins?.....so which is the smart way to do camber plates ....so many varying opinions out there ...its hard to get a straight answer?....im probably gonna go weld in its just the bolt ons eliminate the factor of a poor weld job or mistake...as i wouldnt be the one welding it in ....

If you can get -3 camber you have all the adjustment you need for a S30.  If you need anything more out of the top of the strut your car is bent.  The answer is not, the GC plates have more then enough camber adjustment.

I had heard mention that the GC plates offer little in the way of caster adjustment. 

Only a bit by rotating them by one bolt hole. I don't see folks adjusting caster with any style camber plate-I think that aspect is a bunch of hype. Use the cyber plate for camber and an adjustable TC rod for caster. Adjusting caster sounds important but it creates more clearance headaches when you put larger wheels on. You start having rubbing on the airdam then next thing you know you gotta take a sawzall to all your sheet metal. Adjusting caster was probably the rage when guys put 13" wheels on their z cars but the-17s you need to clear big brakes makes caster increases a real headache.  Before adding the camber and caster, the car was a pig-pushing thru all turns at autocross-I could only get thru turns by slowing WAY down prior to entry-now brakes are the limiting part because I can haul ass right up to the limit.

Edited by RebekahsZ