HybridZ

Turbo exhaust too loud!!

Timecode

I have a 240z with a l28et and a t3/t4 at 14psi. I'm soon getting a full mandrel 3" SS from the turbo back and was wondering if I even need to bother putting a muffler on it. Im concerned about how loud it would be without a muffler. Seems to me that there isn't a big difference in this applicattion being its a turbo l6. Any thoughts. This is not my daily driver.

Edited by Timecode

i have a 1.5 jz with a holset sing turbo, and a 4 inch down pipe that exits from the fender. its super quiet even with no muffler until the wastegate opens, but that also dumps straight out of the fender. its nice, because cruising around is pretty quiet and you can easily have a conversation in the car, but when you get on it, its loud, like you'd expect.

i have a 1.5 jz with a holset sing turbo, and a 4 inch down pipe that exits from the fender. its super quiet even with no muffler until the wastegate opens, but that also dumps straight out of the fender. its nice, because cruising around is pretty quiet and you can easily have a conversation in the car, but when you get on it, its loud, like you'd expect.

Any pictures of your set up, or sound clips? I'm considering a fender exit exhaust and would love to see how you went about it...

A turbo roughly cuts the exhaust volume by 1/3.  A straight pipe is still going to be quite loud.  If you want volume go with a round can - an oval can gives you a reduced volume compared to the round.  I think running without at least a round can is just gonna get you pulled over by the cops all the time...

I disagree with the above^ at least in my case. my car is very quiet when cruising, in fact, i'd say a majority of the v8 cars around with mufflers are louder than my car when cruising. once the wastegate opens up, thats a whole other story, but at least when you keep it out of boost its very low key. its very difficult to capture exhaust sound in video, but i have tried, at least idling. i'll get a drive by video when I have someone to hold the camera. also, excuse the mess, i've been driving this thing for two days. have not wrapped the loom or cleaned up much. my down pipe leaves much to be desired, but it gets the job done until i decide to buy that very expensive mandrel bent stainless tubing. no idle air control valve, its been sitting over 24 hours, high today was around 40, so the motor was very cold, and thus idling around 550-600. that causes my hood to make a bunch of noise. sorry for that. also, that hole in the fender is covered by an aluminum soot shield that makes it look substantially better. not currently installed because im about to trim the exhaust flush with the fender.

th_2131B762-60DF-4956-BCB4-FBFDB2EF921E-

The turbo will quiet it down, but if you drive regularly you will want

a bit more.  I ran a 3" mandrel setup with just a cat for a short while

waiting on a small Dynomax can muffler.  The Dynomax does not

make a huge difference, but enough that I only slightly annoy

my neighbors and less that the Audi S4 on the other side of them.

Im running 2.5" downpipe to 3" straight cut. ( muffler cut out near rear axle, pointing to driver side of car ) and it is LOUD. I love it and it sounds awesome but could be annoying to some
People.' Video does no justice but...

Edited by SDgoods

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on your taste.  When I recently got my motor back together with ported intake/exhaust manifolds and an HY35, I just ran a downpipe that necked from 2.5" from the turbo to 3" at the bottom with a mandrel bent piece that exited the car behind the front wheel as a temporary measure until I could get to the exhaust shop.

To me, it was loud and obnoxious, no way I'd want to drive a car around sounding like that.  However, I do have an open dump on my external wastegate.  Loud and obnoxious is ok when you're getting on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 3" cat, and no it does not do much to knock the rumble down.  I also have

a Dynomax 14" long straight through muffler, that also does not make a huge difference.

It is livable, but occasionally annoying, especially if I need to be on the road early in

the AM, or getting home late (more for the neighbors than me, but I don't want to be

"that guy" on the block).  I am now looking at a slip in resonator tip.

It is easier if you live off the beaten path or don't care if the neighbors hate you,

otherwise I suspect you will want a bit more noise control...

Edited by Dan_Austin

I will try to get a mic preamp and a shure sm57 and record my car from 25 feet away as well as from inside without using compression and try to upload it somewhere without using compression.

I'm running the stock 280zx turbo downpipe and cat with a pipe that exits in the stock position.

One thing to consider is the piping itself influencing the character of the noise.

A long piping run after the last stage of muffling will impart the "pipe noise" into the exhaust character.

If any muffling occurs near the end of the piping with just a tip afterward, you lose that "pipe noise".

For stock or slightly higher levels of horsepower, the stock zx turbo cat seems to have very little, if any, affect on horsepower.

If you still have a stock zx turbo cat and the stock downpipe, why not bolt it on lightly and listen to it?