HybridZ

L28 set up questions

6inline

Hi,

I think this is my first post here but i've been reading for a long time on this site. My 240z will come out from a full body restoration on february and since the original L24 is out... I want to put something more powerfull back in there.

So, from what I could understand, an f54 bloc an a N42 head would be great.

I am, by the way, looking for a good dayli/weekend racer motor. NATURALY ASPIRATED please!

F54 bloc plus a N42 head would give me 10:1 (?)

Do I need to do something special when I will built it? I want to do the work miself, (I did it at school and enjoyed it)

I actualy have 2 brand new s.u. Hitachi wich will be there until I can afford something like mikuni 40mm.

What I intend to to ;

-Rebuilt the f54 and fully balance it

- port and polish on the head

- im an idiot when it comes to talk about cam so i'll just say i would like something that will allow at least 7000 and give me a good feeling when floored

- best exaust I can afford or build

- I still did not read a thing about ignition....

- what I could understand from my reading is that triple carbs are fun as Hell for their sound and the horsepower they give are worthy.

Budget is unknown, I might have the money or I might not but I want a good engin well built. So I'll do what I can to afford it.

I am sorry if my writting is not good. I only speak english so I'm trying my best to be understood and respectfull for you're community!

Thank you,

6inline

Tuning it on the SU's then on the triples will be a pain in the ass. If you can I would go straight to the triples and become an expert on them. 

If you're getting a port and polish, get it flow tested also, and then you can call isky and give him all the specs of your engine and he will grind you a cam for your engine. 

Just buy some decent 6-1 headers, you're probbaly not shooting for 250-300hp NA, just something fun and loud. 

Read up on ignition, read up on triples, and update your location. What did you mean when you said you only speak english?

What year L24 do you have? Maybe a good head on that engine?

What are your HP goals?

Have you driven a modified L6? L24, L28 -you might be happy with strong L24

Going straight to triples on a new engine-I think that's a bad idea. get your feet wet with the SU's-THEN go to triples.

Hey thanks for the answer guys,

By only speaking english, I mean I'm a french canadian and I (almost) never write in english. I only speak it.

The S.U. are running on my L24, but the engin wont go over 4500 rpm. I never realy tried tu tune them. I Guess I was scared of it... I actualy kind of regret it, i should have tryed it at least... I guess it's ok since I will instal them on the 2.8 and than I'll have to tune them.

Today I bought an F54 bloc and the N42 head for a peanut. I'll start working on them as soon as can! I cant wait, I'm so excited!

Stock cranckshaft (will probably be fully balanced)

Stock connecting rod

I need flat top piston

Head is stock with stock cam, it will need work.

I plan on a lot of reading because I want to do the most I can miself and do it well.

I dont think I can afford to go straight with the triple carb, these cost a lot and I prefer to make sur everything else is just as I want it.

Can anybody explain me how to post picture here?

I would like to show you the work that have been done!

Edited by 6inline

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whitehead is truly excellent, a little more expensive than most, but they are the real deal and have the expertise.  I had my car in with them last spring and they worked wonders with it on the mechanical side.  

If Toronto is too far, or you are after some more basic work, I also use a guy in Kingston, ON that owns a 78 280Z and was head mechanic at the local Nissan dealership for years and years.  He has his own shop called "Glenn Foote Auto Repair", and he does great work at very reasonable rates.  Might be worth a look.  He is currently restoring an 1970 240Z, with a low VIN around 6##, and it looks like it's going to be a beauty when finished!

• Like 1

I'm realy close from montreal yes. I should meet with a guy who built engins for raceboats (regates) for decenies in a week or two. He is equiped to do a lot of nice works so I am looking forward to meet him.

Roger280zx, since I will stay na, i would like to go in higher compression ration. I need new piston and my engin needs work so i'm thinking oversizing it a little bit. I guess I'll see when I meet the guy.

• 1 month later...

Finaly Napa in my home town will rebuilt my engin. the machinist being have been building race engin for several decenies so I heard he is good. brand new everything in the engin but the crank and connecting rod. I'm buying act stage 2 clutch ans black coated headers 6-2-1. My S.U. will do the job until I can afford 40 mm Mikunis.