HybridZ

LS Swap Air conditioner in Z

I have the JCI kit to put AC in the Datsun. My question is: Can the vacuum bottle be removed from the AC system and the magnet valve that makes the L6 idle up when the AC is on? Does the LS with a stock cam pull enough vacuum so te tank is not needed to operate the doors in the AC system? It looks like my tank isn't going to fit back where it was, so trying to get some ideas on how others went about putting AC.

You need the vacuem bottle plus there should be a check valve in the line leading to it.It  might be better to start over  with a vintage air or other street rod system that uses r134.I dont  know about running r134 in the old system but I do know that r134 will gell up the old r12 refer oil .If you try to run  r134 the system will have to be completely cleaned and a new reciever-dryer unit installed.Rumor has it that r134 in being replaced for eco reasons.

Thanks, that's kinda what i thought. I have the new compressor and drier from JCI with a few of the hoses. I like the hot rod AC units but really don't want to have to change the switches out in the interior. I'm trying to keep that part of the car as stock as possible. I have all the components but am not too excited about having to put all that mess back in the engine bay. would I just get rid of the wire/hoses or whatever else went to the fast idle FICD thing?

I'm shooting for February to get mine started. Will still need a lot of little things before it's drivable. It will probably be getting hot by the time it's complete so working AC is going to be a must, especially if I want to keep the wife happy.

I used the JCI compressor and dryer with all the rest of the stock stuff.  Worked great for 6 years until the stock expansion valve gave up the ghost.  And they are no longer available through any sources I can find.  Someone out there supplies a ford evaporator with a new style expansion valve that will bolt up, but I will have to remove the dash, and I haven't worked up the gumption to do that yet.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/hurricane-ac-systems/universal-hurricane-systems-cable-operated-c-1_32000000_120131979_120131981.html?osCsid=6758e9770cc6fa70a1142900bad1a530

The more look at it, the more I would like to go with something like this. With these aftermarket units, at least you get to choose what kind of air goes where. I already have the bracket, the compressor, the dryer, and a few hoses that are new. I'm just not sure if one of these units would fit. I have not put my dash yet to see if it would fit in the same spot the original used. Also I need to see if any of the control panels would fit where the stock the one was and if I could make it look proper.

One consideration about the aftermarket units is that most only have the option for recirculating air. 

I'm using the vintage air gen II mini for the under dash unit. I've only mounted and wired it at this point. Not in a rush to get the rest of the A/C components installed since its winter still. 

IMG_20131129_174958.jpg

I'm using their standard control unit with four basic looking knobs. Looking into making my own panel that fits in the stock location, mounting the rotary knobs to it, and ultimately have some vinyl printed instead of the very basic circular stickers that come on the vintage air panel.

hc-87249200rha-under-dash-control-panel.

I used the Vintage Air Mini Gen II too.  My install looks simliar to 280zcar's photo above.  Regarding extra room around it...  Width wise there's enough room although the angle of the lines coming from the bulkhead fitting on the RH side of the firewall would become a little tigher and more difficult to run.  The height is the big concern.  The space from the trans tunnel to the bottom of the windsheild is a little tight.   

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm - I have the JCI A/C compressor working with the other stock '77 280Z components.  The vacuum bottle has been removed from my car and I don't miss it a bit.  Everything works as advertised.  Been that way for 10 years so an issue should have showed up by now if there was one.

I finally got my paypal account built up enough to get the vintage air gen II compac. I will be ordering it in the next few days probably. I think the classic air unit is better, as are their controls, but its almost double the cost. I will post back as soon as I get it in and mounted.