HybridZ

Cover your glass (windows and mirrors) when welding/grinding

Just a quick FYI.  Just got car back from roll bar builder.  Welding and grinding on your car can ruin the glass-the sparks seem to actually melt the glass leaving millions of pits.  I think it only really hurt my quarter windows (which I haven't cleaned in 20 years), but it could have been worse.  The glass gets pitted and can't be fixed.  Cover that glass when working in the vicinity.

Thanks, David.  I only use the quarter glass to keep the rain out.  I can't imagine getting my car nice enough that I'm worried about the quality of the quarter glass.  But then again, I haven't driven the car against a setting or rising sun, so we will see.  Thanks for the offer; I will keep you in mind  Glad it wasn't my windshield (that's why I wanted to bring this to everybody's attention.  Car is finally home after a prolonged absence (like 6 weeks).  Got to get out there and set ride height and get some paint on all the raw metal.  I know the rat-rod crew likes rust, but not me!

3M Weld and Spark Paper.  Sold on Amazon.com.  If your welded is stupid enough to not protect glass and interior panels when grinding and welding I would not use him again.

What if your welder is yourself?   :unsure:

Edited by m1ghtymaxXx