HybridZ

Unusual Rear Sway Bar Mount

I had never really paid any attention but when the LS!/T56 conversion was done on my car in 2003/4 the rear sway bar was reinstalled running toward the front of the car rather than around the back of the finned cover of the R200. I got a few photos for anyone that is interested.

Anyone see any reason why this won't work as well as the "normal" way of doing it?

post-263-0-13177900-1398899389_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-32422500-1398899415_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-51628900-1398899451_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-87713900-1398899479_thumb.jpg

OK. I was thinking that but I had seen so many posts about issues guys were having clearing the fins on the finned R200's that I had second thoughts. Yes, the bar is the original 1977 bar.

In that case, With what I saw and the fact that they are built to replace the stock units I should have no issues with the installation of the Suspension Techniques bars.

Interestingly, when I talked with my son, DarthZ, about his '73 240Z with an R230 in the back - his is mounted the same way.

I don't know when Nissan changed the mounting point.  Could have happened before the 280Z.  I think that the interference with the fins is from the transverse link mount, or cross-brace (I can't figure out what Nissan calls it).  The curved, stamped steel piece that bends around the back of the diff cover.

Phantom-

Nothing wrong with that bar or mounting config.  As said by the others, that's the stock mounting point.  I used a set-up like that for a couple years (racing) and had no problems.  You can also replace it with a thicker aftermarket bar as well, if the stock bar is too soft.  The only time you're going to run into issues with that mounting is when the car is lowered sufficiently so as to cause interference between the bar and your lower control arms....that's when it's time to switch to a rear-mounted sway bar.  Until then, you're fine.

jhm/m1ghtymaxXx - I will probably go with the stock location then. My car is as low as I'm comfortable with for daily driving and I also don't want to have to deal with the clearance issues with the finned cover on the R200 LSD and the modified cross brace crossing across the back of it.

A couple issues can occur with the stock mounting location:

1.  The bar might interfere with the front diff flange or the driveshaft.

2.  The arms on the bar might bottom against the rear subframe.

Be sure to check your installation.

I know we have been covering this in the other thread, but here is a picture I just found of my car with the MSA 280Z rear bar installed and you can see how it reduced clearance (my ability) to tuck the rear dual exhaust up like I would prefer to have it at the rear crossmember. 

As mentioned previously, check for clearance issues strictly on the fact that the bar will be larger in diameter in those few areas.  It most likely won't be an issue since the stock bar has been fine.

post-505-0-62017500-1398961103_thumb.jpg

Good advice, as always, from JohnC....he's the Master!  If you are experiencing any interference between the sway bar and the LCA, driveshaft(s), or lower subframe; and don't want to switch to a rear-mounted bar; you can play with adjusting the length of the sway bar end-links to give more clearance where needed.  

Typically, if you have stock ride height (or even if it's lowered an inch or two), it generally won't be an issue.  

The sway bar in my photos is the bar that came with the car in 1977. It has been there with the original 4-sod/3.54:1 R200, then an '83ZX 5-spd/3.90:1 R200, and now with the T56/3.70:1 R200 LSD. I have never had any interference issues. Even with the installation of the Techno Toys Eibach/Koni set-up it still clears everything. Looking at the photos and the car it should be able to handle a bar 3/8" bigger in diameter without getting into the drivetrain or the exhaust.

I used a round to oval to round exhaust section on the passenger side which allowed me to go under the rear cross member rather than notching it for another exhaust. This should pretty much set it up for a standard replacement with an ST unit.

My car won't be going any lower. I'm at the edge of dragging my exhaust on some of the higher speed bumps and ridges in gravel driveways now.

On another note - when we jacked the car Wednesday I was surprised to see the front wheel come off the ground while jacking the rear. The new springs and shocks really keep the tires in check. My friend, Bob, probably commented a half-dozenb times about how rigid the car is. He was impressed with that and the torque-tube design of the drivetrain. He even noted the drive-shaft loop in the front.

Edited by Phantom