HybridZ

Today I get a special barn find....911

texis30O

I am hours away from purchasing a 1983 911 Turbo Barn find.  I stumbled upon this gem during a conversation with a guy I am doing some work with.  I do not intend to keep it for long but flip it for some cash and get it to a good home and back on the road. 

This car is a 2 owner vehicle that has not been on the road for 20+ years.  Part of me wants to keep it but I need to finish the Z and this will do nothing but distract me....... I do plan on owning one in the future.  It feels funny becoming a Porsche owner.....

It is a 1983 911 Turbo with just over 20,000 miles on the clock.  Yes a very low mile car. 

Stick a V-8 in it ;)

Take a look at the 930 market before you do anything like that. Prices are SKYROCKETING! It's unreal.

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=1276191

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=859066

I'd clean it up and flip it for a profit.

Edited by rturbo 930

The plan is to clean it up. 

Drain the fluids, change plugs, flush the gas tank and get it running. 

Then flip it. 

I want to use the funds to finish the S30, and put the rest back. 

I am in line for another one, but this is a 84 911 turbo that is far from stock. 

I'm sorry, dude, but I would so sell my Z (or keep it since it is worthless), wash that 911 in my front yard, and freaking DRIVE IT! A Datsun vs a Porsche.....for me that's a no-brainer. I only love my Z because it is paid for.

That is in very rough shape and would cost a fortune to restore as Porsche parts are not priced like Datsun parts. However, A find like that does not  come along very often. You are the lucky one. It is your option to take this once in many lifetime chances and enjoy it or just profit from it. If you have the time I would keep it and very meticulously put it back to stock with the Fuches on it of course and possible sell it down the line when everyone wants one again and they are mid six figure cars.

As a Porsche owner for the last 30 years, I can assure you it will take more than changing the fluids and plugs to get the 911 back on the road if it's been sitting for 20 years. Plan on dealing with expensive surprises. Good luck with the process.

Dennis

Agreed. You're looking at a minimum of $5k to get it running and drive able. Otherwise you stand a good chance of loosing the turbo and/or causing other engine damage.

Condition is everything regarding value.

We might be interested in purchasing the car as is. I've forwarded this thread to John Benton.

Any idea of why it was parked with just 20k miles? Blown engine or in need of other expensive repairs? I'm guessing $5,000 to get it on the road could be just a drop in the bucket. It cost that much to get my Z roadworthy after sitting for 15 years. Good luck!

Dennis

I don't know how you could bare to flip something like that, I know I'd have a hard time parting with it. 

Grassroots Motorsports magazine has daily driver Porshe 930 (non turbo) they've been reporting on. The did an article on an engine rebuild and how to minimize costs. Don't quote me, but I think they were into their engine rebuild for around 5K doing as much labour as the could themselves. 

It was parked due to a title issue.  It was some dude's car, then sold to the brother of the guy I bought it from. Said brother had parked it at the location I bought it at.  He died about 10+ years ago and it was never titled due to the potential of it getting taken.  I am working with a lawyer now to get the title straightened out. 

It was 100% functional and driving.  The engine still turns over without issue.  I am going to at least try and get it to turn over after changing out the fluids and plugs.  I literally have no room.  My 240 is due back in August.........I am already parking my truck in the driveway and REFUSE to park any of the sports cars outside!!!!  ( even though my truck is a '13)

This would make someone a "Tits" track car.  I am now just getting into it. 

Edited by texis30O

You will need to inspect and most likely clean/replace the following items.  The worst thing to do to a Porsche is let it sit:

Master Cylinder

Brake Calipers

Fuel Tank

Fuel Tank Mesh Filter

Fuel Pump

Fuel Filter

CIS Fuel Distributor

Control pressure Regulator

Fuel Accumulator

Fuel Injection Nozzles

Spark Plugs

Oil Lines

All Fluids

Clutch and Pressure Plate

Throwout Bearing

Bowden Tube

Turbo and All Related Controls

If you're lucky the 20 year old fuel can be cleaned out of the items above.  Be very careful because its very easy for these engines to go lean on a cylinder if the fuel system and primitive engine management system isn't clean and functioning well.  Look for animal nests in the intake track, around the oil coolers, in the exhaust, etc.