HybridZ

I want to build 10 second car. From where should I start?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much sir for sharing this information and I really appreciate it.

In this stage I'm really confused witch route I should take. I have now 2012 Mustang 5.0 but I'm not satisfied with the porfomance. The engine is great but the car is so heavy and Im afraid that I will end up with the same porfomance that the mustang do.

Thank you

I know some guys that have Mustangs and they have good motors but like you say, they are heavy. I don't think you will have the same performance out of a LS powered S30 than your 5.0.

Not so.  He won't appreciate my advertising it, but our hero road racer CobraMatt finishes second on occasion to either a 70 Camaro with a straight axle or a NASCAR-style car that has a straight axle.   It defies all my stereotypes, but its true.  There's lots of ways to set up a solid axle, but I haven't learned about it yet, and certainly everything is a matter of compromises.

Not so.  He won't appreciate my advertising it, but our hero road racer CobraMatt finishes second on occasion to either a 70 Camaro with a straight axle or a NASCAR-style car that has a straight axle.   It defies all my stereotypes, but its true.  There's lots of ways to set up a solid axle, but I haven't learned about it yet, and certainly everything is a matter of compromises.

Well sir,

I would have to disagree. Not taking anything away from your road racer friend but that’s not a fair assessment between independent and solid axle rear ends. It would almost be like putting him in a group of C6 Z06’s, 911 Turbo’s and M3’s on a road course and see how that turns out. It would greatly depend on who is driving what car and how far they are willing to push them not to mention their experience level as well.

For starters I would not consider a Camaro a great handling car as I owned a couple, they are fun to drive but far from handling great. Of course with the right suspension guy and countless hours of tweaking I’m sure any straight axle car can be made to handle much better than when it rolled of the assembly line but the same can be said about independent suspension.

From my experience when it comes to any racing the only fair comparison is same driver, same track, same weather conditions time results. This way the only thing that changes is the car as different drivers can have different reaction times and experience level.

I ran my Camaro (stock suspension) on a road course then that same day I drove a 300ZX (stock suspension) on the same track and shaved 2.5 seconds off my time. I have other friends of mine do the same thing with a 5.0 Mustang (stock suspension) vs a C5 Corvette (stock suspension) with similar results. All cars had similar horsepower numbers. Independent suspension is hard to beat around a road course, granted there is always that one guy that can drive circles around the rest no matter what he is driving but in general independent suspension cars handle much better that straight axle cars.

You have to remember these irs setups in our cars were designed in the 70s. A properly setup solid axle will handle better than the stock suspension. My car handles 10 times better around corners than the stock setup ever did.

Edited by mattd428

I was watching some 3 and 4 linked straight axle cars running with some irs cars on not the best track. Appeared that on the flat level track sections, there wasn't a whole lot of difference, but on a really bumpy section of track is where the irs cars would have a noticeable advantage.

Some horrible misinformation here. I've run 10s with the IRS for years, and could have easily done 9s on it, but I opted for the safety of a solid axle once I started moving through to 8s. I'm sure if you take an original 70s IRS and swap fancy new solid axle parts, the car will handle way better, but compared at the same wear level for corners, the solid axle will lose every time. If you want pure straight line performance, and you don't care about corners, go ahead and go solid axle.

Go IRS if you want a good mix and you don't plan on doing deep 9s. Get GOOD axles, CVs, and rear end. (I had a snub nose r200 from a q45 with 200k miles, moser axles, and MM adaptors. These parts were on my car for years running 10s with a t56, and now are on The Infidel's car which has done a bunch of 11 second passes and about 10-20k miles) Set up your springs and shocks correctly, and don't overshoot on the hp. (You can easily do it with 450hp and no cage. If you want track legal, its gonna need more power and more weight for the cage)

If you want to see a stock IRS running 8s at half throttle, look up Krazy Kelly on youtube. Also watch how many times he has crashed, since the IRS starts to get a little light around 140+. Kelly's car is capable of doing bottom 8s without a problem, and it doesn't have anything crazy in the drivetrain. (I know pretty much every part he runs)

I guess my point is that if you put an engine in that is capable of running 10s, and you do it often enough to become a good racer, the IRS gets tiresome from having to fix it all the time. I never seem to have time to get that nitrous kit together because I'm always under the darn car! I dont even know what the top of my car looks like anymore. It doesn't matter how well it handles cause it is always on jack stands, and last I checked, they make you leave your jack stands in the pits before you strap in and out your helmet on. This guys question was about drag racing, a time when rear dynamic camber should be at zero all the way down the track. Sure, the IRS may not break every time you go to the track, but grab every spare axle you can find before I chew them all up.

I guess my point is that if you put an engine in that is capable of running 10s, and you do it often enough to become a good racer, the IRS gets tiresome from having to fix it all the time. I never seem to have time to get that nitrous kit together because I'm always under the darn car! I dont even know what the top of my car looks like anymore. It doesn't matter how well it handles cause it is always on jack stands, and last I checked, they make you leave your jack stands in the pits before you strap in and out your helmet on. This guys question was about drag racing, a time when rear dynamic camber should be at zero all the way down the track. Sure, the IRS may not break every time you go to the track, but grab every spare axle you can find before I chew them all up.

I'm really not sure what you are doing to break all those rear end parts. I never once had a problem with my r200/moser/z32 cv setup, and I drove the pants off of it to countless 10 second passes. The z32 stuff is WAY beefier than any of the other models though, so that might be why.

Edited by mistafosta

He got some new slicks that are massive and that track must hook up very well (lose his shoes if he walked around the starting line it's so tacky)

I remember another cv blowing up after 3 passes on the night of the z attack in Nashville earlier this year on his way home lol

Send me your setup with the moser axles or a link via pm. I want more power and a 6 speed but don't want to put in a solid axle. I've got a stock r200 with mm flanges and 86 model 300zxt cvs. He's putting down like 402/435 to the wheels.

Seems like the way the parts are mounted would have a big effect on longevity.  A small amount of mis-alignment probably puts a lot more stress on things.  The guys that have their parts last probably have perfect alignment and good solid mounting.  No flexing or moving to allow things to get twisted and stressed.

He got some new slicks that are massive and that track must hook up very well (lose his shoes if he walked around the starting line it's so tacky)

I remember another cv blowing up after 3 passes on the night of the z attack in Nashville earlier this year on his way home lol

Send me your setup with the moser axles or a link via pm. I want more power and a 6 speed but don't want to put in a solid axle. I've got a stock r200 with mm flanges and 86 model 300zxt cvs. He's putting down like 402/435 to the wheels.

Yeah, I saw the 28" tire, I feel that is way too tall for the setup but I don't know the car that well. I did 10s on a much smaller tire.

Unfortunately, I bought my setup through MM when Ross was still around and doing the z32 axle style. You could probably redrill the new MM stubs for 6 bolts and get ahold of moser for the axles though. I run 6 bolt z32 CVs on both sides. (Inner cv joints x 4)