HybridZ

Rookie at this stuff..

So I know it could be as simple as a search but I can't find much so I guess I'd prefer straight on help from you guys. I have everything in my car, just got a new optima red top and terminals seem to be good. For some reason last night when I tried to start it up after 26 years of sitting (as I was told) it just cranked and cranked but didn't start. My fuel pump for some reason was not turning on and I know it's not a bad fuel pump because it was just working a few days ago and I replaced it myself. The wiring is all good, but it still doesn't turn on. Tried starter fluid but car won't stay on since it's not getting any fuel. Could it be my fuel pump actually went bad for some reason, or could it be my relays or any other electrical thing? The engine is getting everything but fuel and that's all this Zed needs to come back to life! Someone please get the HBO special and help a brotha out! post-39845-0-20041300-1412563383_thumb.jpg

I know it's not a bad fuel pump because it was just working a few days ago and I replaced it myself. T

So the fuel pump "works", meaning you heard ti spin?  Have you seen fuel flowing, or measured pressure?  Did the engine run a few days ago?  Are you trying to resurrect a car that's been sitting for 26 years, that you've never heard run?

The starter fluid is a good clue,  You have spark. 

Year of car would be helpful.

1977 280z. What I mean is up until last night it didn't want to turn on. I tested it just last weekend to make sure it was working and it was. I don't know if it might just be acting up, but it never does that. I have not seen this car run, I'm the second owner to it. Previous owner let it just sit outside his barn on a trailer.

Sorry, still not clear.  The engine doesn't want to "turn on" or the fuel pump?  What did you test last weekend?  You said you've never seen the car run, but you said it started with starting fluid.  That's a contradiction.  How can you say that it "never does that" if you've never seen the car run?  Overall, it's hard to tell what you're trying to describe.  Read what you wrote and see if it makes sense.

Could be that the fuel pump you replaced was bad due to rust.  Rust which is still in the tank, killing the new pump.

The fuel pump only gets power when the key is at Start or the AFM vane is off its seat (fuel pump relay contact switch closed).  On an unmodified 1977 280Z.  Most people can't hear the pump when the starter is engaged so they disconnect the starter solenoid to quiet things down.

Sorry, I gave all of the clues in my last post.  How to test a 280Z fuel pump is described all over the internet.  Use a meter to test for power, and sound, pressure or fuel flow to see if it spins.

OK here's one method - push the AFM vane or weight.

Edited by NewZed

Time to download a Factory Service Manual (FSM).  They are available free elsewhere on HybridZ and all over the web.

search "280Z FSM"   or  "280Z factory service manual"  etc.

Also, get a Haynes manual for 280Z.

In 30+ years of dealing with Bosch and Bosch-Licensed Systems, I've never run across "seized" injectors. Gummy, sometimes sluggish, but never terminally stuck to the point that sending an activation signal to them didn't work or get them working. Most assuredly not all six to be sure! All you need is one or two to initially fuel the engine and get heat into it... After that, overdosed Seafoam in the fuel works wonders,

It runs on starting fluid, you have spark.

Is this fresh gas? If not get some in a can with an external fuel pump and use a gallon to flush your rail and lines of old fuel.

Refill with a new batch of fuel (don't even try the tank until you clean it!)

Get fuel pressure and make/break the injector and ECU connectors a couple of times, start it up run it with that first gallon of gas and full can of Seafoam in it, then move on to leaks and cleaning the fuel tank of the goo from fuel that cooked down since 1988.

I can't count how many I have started like this. When they shut down the most that happens is the injector pin tile might get stuck...but that's VERY rare, and is universally cured by a good injection pulse to the injector.

Edited by Tony D

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of Good advice in this thread.  The Pull the fuel line at the engine and see if you have fuel flow is probably one of the best.  Good gasoline safety practices should apply here. Even old fuel is flammable.  With the Key on, you should be able to lift the flap in the AFM and hear/see the pump running.  If you haven't checked the fuel filter in the engine compartment, that'd be a great place to start too.   You know the engine runs, it's just getting fuel there that makes the difference.  You could also clean/replace the injector plugs. They're often corroded pretty badly.  It's rare that none of the injectors would fire.  My bet is that there's still old crappy fuel in the rail that needs to be drained out. 

Tony's overload on Seafoam is about the best advice I read on this thread, so certainly try that before pulling everything apart to clean plugs.  That and check the pump, it's easy to replace.

Hey, Rookie!

+1 on the injector cleaning advise. What Tony says is gospel in the BMW community and it should work well here. Sorry, don't remember, did you change all the filters? I'm sure you must have. Regardless of what happens, PLEASE post the results. All too often, people forget to update their posts so others can benefit in the future.

Good luck!

All great advice, haven't gotten around to any of it because I'm getting the whole front assembly new on my car. Calipers were bad, pistons got stuck on them and brake pads were out of there. Just got my rotors turned, going to try and find the s12 calipers since I've already upgraded to a 15/16 bore master cylinder. Then I can get the front back on the ground and check out the fuel pump through the back. But I will certainly keep you guys updated as soon as I try anything, for the benefit of the community.  When you learn, you earn.

• 3 weeks later...