HybridZ

Auto Darkening Helment for $100?

NCchris

I used a HF model for 4+ years before it just died on me one morning. Picked up a low-end adjustable darkness Miller for $73.00 from cyberweld.com that I have been using for a little over a year now.

The HF helmet worked great when I was just doing minor rust repairs on the zed. The Miller helmet is lighter and I feel like I can see the arc better so I prefer it now that I'm doing more TIG welding and heavy rust repairs. But, for a beginner (I'm assuming) doing some straight forward welding, the HF helmet works great.

$44 on sale ... mine has started to flash after 3 years of use so it's time for another

http://www.harborfreight.com/blue-flame-design-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-91214.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNjY4OTU1OTkiLCJza3UiOiI5MTIxNCIsImlzIjoiNDQuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMjI5NiJ9%0D%0A

edit: $44.99 with coupon code 66895599

Edited by primeral

Just a thought.......Seeing how you only get one set of eyes in this life do you really want to trust them to a cheapo Chinese helmet? Perhaps you'll never have an issue but there is always a chance.  Your eyes are worth it, spend a little more for something quality made, at the very least something that has a Safety Rating that you can trust. Anything that has a safety rating such as UL Listed or ANSI etc from Harbor Freight stuff should be looked upon very dubiously.....Chinese manufacturers (especially low end have no issues faking stuff like that) Google Chinese Fakes.

Personally I use a Jackson Halo X I2 with the Nexgen lens :), Miller and Speedglas are also good choices. And yes some of that stuff is made in China (unfortunate but it is what it is these days) Plenty of decent helmets in the $150 dollar range. Your eyes are worth it.

I picked up a real nice, barely used Speedglas helmet off eBay. I paid around $200, but got a quality helmet for less than 1/2 of the price new.

Keep an eye out, you'll find one...  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=speedglas+welding+helmet&=&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4

Just a thought.......Seeing how you only get one set of eyes in this life do you really want to trust them to a cheapo Chinese helmet? Perhaps you'll never have an issue but there is always a chance. Your eyes are worth it, spend a little more for something quality made, at the very least something that has a Safety Rating that you can trust. Anything that has a safety rating such as UL Listed or ANSI etc from Harbor Freight stuff should be looked upon very dubiously.....Chinese manufacturers (especially low end have no issues faking stuff like that) Google Chinese Fakes.

Personally I use a Jackson Halo X I2 with the Nexgen lens :), Miller and Speedglas are also good choices. And yes some of that stuff is made in China (unfortunate but it is what it is these days) Plenty of decent helmets in the $150 dollar range. Your eyes are worth it.

I agree, not worth it. I picked up a nice miller helmet for $100 at my local supply house last month.