HybridZ

Belly Pan Pictures Posted!!

Guest Anonymous

Nice car! The belly pan is sweet

I love your strut tower braces - nice design!

A few questions:

- what did you use to extend the air dam down (the black part)?

- does the belly pan attach to the bottom of the air dam, or the bottom of the black extension?

Truly excellent, ZR8ED, nice work, love the colour, too.

A couple of querys, does the pan/undertray slope from the horizontal? And it looks like you have used some semi flexible heavy (black) strip around the front which extends below the undertray?

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I forgot to mention that, I really like the strut tower bracing alot, I was going to make a straight one, but that looks like it stays away from the engine pretty well, nice design.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Frank Rich

Very nice, Scott! Excellent job on the strut bracing, too. I'm curious about the "slope" of your belly pan as well - does it run uphill, downhill, or level from the airdam? What are your plans (if any) for extending the pan rearward - do you plan on a similar flat pan, or are you considering any kind of venturi/ducting/diffuser effect near the rear, if you do extend? All in all, one VERY sweet car - obviously the product of lots of hard work and a very agile and inventive mind. And thanks, Lone, for putting up the pics.

BTW, Scott - there's this little shindig in Texas in April, that you may have seen me mention just once or twice icon_rolleyes.gif on this board. I know that's a REALLY long way for you, but I would LOVE to see your car there - think about it...

"Lead me not into Temptation, I'm getting there just fine on my own!"

Frank icon_biggrin.gif

Couple of questions.

What metal is it made out of?

Any potential for overheating in hot climes?

Ever use a floor jack and if yes, where do you place it?

The rear belly pan has always intrigued me but I shied away. Ever notice the really quick Honda drag cars have holes or some mesh in their rear valance? That is because, at speed, air gets trapped in the valance and acts like a parachute and the holes relive that pressure. After installing the fuel cell I noticed lots of room on either side of the cell for the same thing to happen and that is why you see 3 holes in my rear valance. A rear belly pan would have solved that and maybe improve aerodynamics, but my concern was that the muffler was right next to the fuel cell and that muffler gets mighty toasty when the big hairdryer is at full blast.

The belly pan is made up of 18 guage aluminum.

It actually helps cooling. I ran some pretty hard runs at the dragstrip, and it was in the low 80's, and my temps didn't climb one bit.

If you are using a cell, you really should think of the rear pan. The race car where I got these tricks from, picked up another few hundred rpm on the back straight with it....BTW the drip rail is good for 200rpm more in the 150mph+ range...(also track proven)

I use a floor jack, or I use the hoist at the shop. I lift by the rear sway bar mount, and by my rollcage..were it goes from the footwell/firewall...to behind the compression rod..there is a horizontal bar there..(sorta in the wheelwell..)

Scott.

I would like to thank everyone for the kind words.

Now lets see if I can answer all those Q's..

1 The belly pan is horizontal under the car. It attaches at the same mounting points as the black strip under the airdam.

2 You guys will laugh, but that black strip is actually ABS plastic lawn edging! It is flexible enough to absorb minor impacts..especially since the car is so low.

3 The suspension uses cut springs..with about 3-4 coils cut out. The car sits almost 3" off the ground @ the frame rails under the floor. Hmm I guess that makes the drop approx 3" total.

4 I am running about 1 degree camber with that set up. The tires are balding on the inside because of that..that and they are 5 years old now. ( I had the alignment done, and the car checked out just fine)

5 I have the plans for another rear belly pan, but it requires me using a fuel cell...so that will have to wait for some time.

6 Oh and the paint work?...hehe it photographs pretty good..that paint is Acrylic Enamel that is 1990 Porsche guards red...that I had painted in 1990. Not bad for almost 12yr old paint.

Hmm is that it?

Thanks again all.

Hmm maybe I should dig up my roll cage shots?

Scott.