HybridZ

OS Giken Superlock for 280Z R200 and Rear Gear Ratio Suggestions

So I've reached a point where my research capabilities are failing me. I want to use an OS Giken Superlock in my longnose r200 (I know there is some mention of bushings to match bolt sizes? Not sure, but my diff builder said it was no issue). I know they have one for the 240Z R180, but there is no specific mention of one for the R200 from the 280Z. Are there any other long nose R200s that are identical such that a posi made for it would work in my current housing?

I will be running the AZC suspension/brakes all around, 19 inch wheels in the rear with 305/30/ZR19 Hankook RS3s. Thus, I am also trying to figure out which rear end gear ratio to use. I'm rebuilding this diff right now and I want to do it right the first time.

I should be making around 600rwhp (HCI LS7).

My plan is to use the 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1, .8, .63 T56 Magnum (I think the taller 1-3 ratios will help with traction).

The car will be a fun HPDE car for road courses, but will make the occasional trip to cars and coffee (Performance is more important than low cruise rpm).

The car will not see the drag strip.

I know all of this requires a stout rear end setup, so I figured the OS GIken + AZC setup would be a good start. Any other recommendations are welcome. Not sure exactly how crazy I need to go axle-wise to avoid issues.

Thanks in advance for the help -- I'm trying to do this once and do it right!

I have the OS Giken Superlock in my longnose R200. I had Beta Motorsports build it for me with all new bearings and seals. I don't know much about how it was put together. John Coffey may be the person to ask about this set up as he was the one who built it for me. I was told those locker units are really strong.

It looks like we are running similar set ups. Same transmission, similar hp motors, silmilar suspension and brakes.

Can't wait to see it come together.

post-14557-0-12955100-1426034801_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-85246600-1426034866_thumb.jpg

Very cool to see someone else with a similar setup -- finally got a hold of OS Giken today and they gave me the info on which unit to use (NS046-HA), but did tell me the unit needs to be shimmed to the side, and some special Nismo bolts need to be used (38102-RS500). Glad to see that this setup has actually been done before! I've heard these are some of the best/strongest posis for road racing. I hope I can send some questions your way in the future when this stuff really starts to come together since we are in relatively similar situations.

Great, I'm glad you were able to get what you needed. Of course you can ask me any questions. My car will be back soon and then I will start putting it together. It is now at the Uhpolstery shop getting the headlinner, rear shock towers and door pannels covered in leather. One thing I suggest with the OS Giken unit is to use their oil. It's not cheap but well worth it from what I hear since it is designed to work with their clutches. I have a build thread here in case you want to read through it.

Any competent diff shop can set it up.  If your ring gear used the 10mm bolts then you must use bushings to make up the difference between the 10mm OD of the bolt and the 12mm ID of the holes on the OSG Superlock flange.  If a diff shop is telling you the bushings are not needed they are being lazy or cheap.  These are then exact bushings in Alain's diff.

http://asbbearingsonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=3449

Note:  I posted the wrong link a minute ago.  Correct link above (10mm ID, 12mmOD, 10mm height).

Great, I'm glad you were able to get what you needed. Of course you can ask me any questions. My car will be back soon and then I will start putting it together. It is now at the Uhpolstery shop getting the headlinner, rear shock towers and door pannels covered in leather. One thing I suggest with the OS Giken unit is to use their oil. It's not cheap but well worth it from what I hear since it is designed to work with their clutches. I have a build thread here in case you want to read through it.

I will definitely give your build thread a read through -- I'm sure I'll learn a few things :)

Any competent diff shop can set it up.  If your ring gear used the 10mm bolts then you must use bushings to make up the difference between the 10mm OD of the bolt and the 12mm ID of the holes on the OSG Superlock flange.  If a diff shop is telling you the bushings are not needed they are being lazy or cheap.  These are then exact bushings in Alain's diff.

http://asbbearingsonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=3449

Note:  I posted the wrong link a minute ago.  Correct link above (10mm ID, 12mmOD, 10mm height).

Thanks John -- Diff builder did say bushings would be needed and that it was no issue for him to put them in (I suppose my phrasing of "no issue" was a bit misleading). I appreciate you pointing me to the exact bushings I need -- it'll more than likely save me a pretty penny compared to having my builder source them!