HybridZ

Toyota 7M-GTE Motor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

You'd need about as much as installing a 2JZ-GTE engine, and a real good head gasket job!

I've owned one 7M-GE Supra and one 7M-GTE Supra. Great powerplant, but the 2JZ replaces it with improvements.

Look at the discussion under Alternate 6 Cylinder engines.

Matthew

Matthew is right, it's just about the same thing as swapping in any other inline 6. The motor mounts and tranny mounts will have to be custom made. Get the engine as far back as you possibly can. You'll find that the 7m-gte is not as long of an engine as the L6. There are no other clearance issues, although the passenger tunnel is pretty close to the tranny with the 5 speed transmission. I may take the engine back out and club the tranny tunnel a time or two.

The speedometer is the same on both cars (ratio isn't I think the supra had a 4.11:1 diff with larger tires), and the tranny slave cylinder has the same thread size as the datsun stuff.. The L6 oil presure gauge even screws right in where the 7m's did. Seems pretty simple, right? The exhaust system is on the oposite side, so that's something to work with.. You'll probabaly want to chop off the old tranny mounts in the z, as I wasn't able to use them. Paste the toyota and the datsun drive line together. I had to browse through a selection of radiator hoses, and found one that looks like a L shape that works.

If you're getting a JDM engine replace the timing belt, and if you want to run high boost, say over 15 psi then replace the head gasket with a metal one.

Here are a couple pics from when I first mounted the engine.

http://www.zhome.com/~aktar/zcar/7m/mounted/

just curious....what kind of power output can be expected from this motor...stock..and what can it be pushed too. i know that the 2JZ is a better motor....capable of alot more power....(ive heard of 700HP on stock bottom ends)but its also 4K compared to the 1K of the 7M-GTE. jusvunderin....im still up in the air over my next swap. and these are my choices (in no order):

2JZ

7M-GTE

RB26/25/20

SR20DET

CA18

i really like the idea of a light four banger Z. but if im bored already with my L28turbo....than the four bangers just are not going to cut it....however...a high HP six...droooooooolll

hmmm.....boost hail.gif

I have dyno'd my car and got 322 rwhp at 6200 rpm with the curve still rising on my 7m-gte. Goto www.supras.com and goto the Sonic link for a very good build up story. I had the engine shipped to my house for less than 850.00. I boought an HKS metal headgasket and used new head bolts torqued to 72 ft lbs and have had no problems running 15psi in the worst of conditions (108+ at Thunderhill).

Anthony,

'71 510 wagon, '91 Toyota Supra Turbo engine

www.sromagazine.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=171

www.sromagazine.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=170&size=big

Supra510, I'm interested in your intake manifold, did you make it yourself? Did you replace the lower intake tubes as well, hard to see in the picture. What size throttle body do you have mounted to it? Did you use part of the stock intake manifold as a mating flange or fab your own?

If I had an intake manifold like that it would simplify my intercooler piping greatly, and allow for a larger throttle body. The stock intake manifold isn't very flexable as far as larger throttle bodies go.

Do you plan on sticking with the stock turbo for some time? I can't deside if I should upgrade the stock one, or go with a complete t4, or a slightly larger t series.

Oh, my `87 Surpa Turbo with stock electronics, which has fuel cut at around 12psi of boost makes 290hp at the wheels. The stock intercooler is not very efficient. If I simply had a stand alone EMS for the Supra it would probably get another 20hp. Probably would need a better intercooler to do that, and maybe a better fuel pump.

I'm running 550cc/min injectors (vs. stock 440cc/min) in the silver 240z, upgraded fuel pump, HKS intercooler, Wolf3D v4.0 EMS. Shortly after getting it on the road I'll slap on a metal head gasket, arp studs, and a new timing belt. Should have no problem being in the 320hp range, hoping to upgrade things to get in the 400hp range. I have a TRD clutch that should hold on without a problem.

Originally posted by Supra510:

Tony,

I did fab the intake myself and used the lower intake and the flange. The runners are only about an inch and 1/2 past the flange. I had no choice because of space constraints in the firewall area which you would not have to worry about. I used 1/4 inch thick aluminum because I had to weld this myself with a MIG welder and did not want to burn thru. I didn't, but given my equipment it was still a frustrating experience.

The throttle body is around 3 inches and is from a BMW535 that was in the local U-pull It. Plenty big and plenty cheap at 10.00.

I have already upgraded the turbo. It is a TO4 with a .69 turbine housing and an o-trim exhaust wheel. I am not sure of the official designation of the compressor wheel but it is basically one step below a 60-1 (one size smaller). I used Turbo Specialties which I highly recommend. Nice guys who will work with your budget. Evidently using this same wheel Grand Nationals have run 10's so it seemed large enough for me.

My HP curve is still going up at the redline I had set that day of 6200. Meant to set it higher and will the next time I go to the Dyno (possibly in mid October). I think the short runners have alot to do with that and the fact that I do not make as much torque as other dyno chart I have seen for this engine. I have a programmable ignition this time around so won't have to compromise as I did the last time so I am anxious to see what the results will be.

I have heard that the Wolf system is really nice to use and with your set up you should have no problem getting 320 hp. My only concern would be th stock turbo since it gets really inefficient really fast over 14-15 psi.

Anthony

The 7M-GTE is a great powerplant, or a piece of **** , depending on who you talk to. I know people who have had to rebuild about three of these engines before realising it was a lost cause. Then again, others will say that after changing the headgasket and re-torqueing the head you shouldnt have any problems with them at all and can make huge HP 'reliably'. They are an old engine design though...

Im actually looking at eventually grabbing a CT26 turbo from a 7MGTE, highflowing it and putting it on my 1JZGTE. There are people out there who are getting 550HP out of a highflowed CT26...and thats on an Aussie dyno! You Americans would see even higher figures!

Some folks are supposedly adapting the 2JZ intake onto the 7M I think. I bought a 2JZ intake CHEAP and when I got it noticed magic marker marks in a row - when I asked he told me he was working on this kind of project. Not knowing much about the 7M I don't know how hard this would be. NOT routing the darned intake over the top of the motor ala 2JZGE would sure be nice I'd bet!

I bought this intake thinking about porting it but I swear there's almost nothing in it! A few rough edges here and there and an EGR pipe but the rest is pretty simple. If it might help you I can take some measurements and pics (shrug). I may still work this sucker some ;)

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I looked through some others and didn't want to start another thread.

What companies in the USA usually have a good supply of JDM or OEM 7MGTEs for a good price?

JDM 7M's will have the same HG problems as US motors. Regardless of what some say the mileage is not as low as they would like you to believe. If you are wanting to swap into a Z yoou would be better off buying a wrecked MKIII. You can get a whole car for less that you'll spend on just the motor. IAAI.com I've bought quite a few fars from them, cheap.