HybridZ

750HP Saab 4 cylinder

RacerX

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

saaab worked with gm, as did a few other european countries, to develop the ecotec. the ecotec can reportedly take a hell of alot of nitrous with just stock components, nearly 300. gmpp hopes to sell crate performance ecotecs to compete with all the imports

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest 240hybrid

Did they show a dyno chart on that 750 HP saab? Most of those 4 cylinders that I see in mags. and shows wont run on the streets worth a scheisse, due to that high power coming on soo late in the power curve. Thats what I've noticed with most of those spectacular achievements of high HP in 4 bangers. Only place they prob. run good is on a drag strip, but then again you could prob. pull it off some how and make it run on the street.

• 4 years later...

That car now has 850hp or something and was actually on a 2.0L..but now they use the new 9-3 instead, starting fresh. Another 2.0

Did they show a dyno chart on that 750 HP saab? Most of those 4 cylinders that I see in mags. and shows wont run on the streets worth a scheisse, due to that high power coming on soo late in the power curve. Thats what I've noticed with most of those spectacular achievements of high HP in 4 bangers. Only place they prob. run good is on a drag strip, but then again you could prob. pull it off some how and make it run on the street.

Thats the brilliant thing about Saab/Scandanavian/Swedish auto philosophy..the power comes on LOW.

They're actually not particularly good drag cars, a lot of it is because no LSD and FWD, also because they are boost limited in 1st and 2nd to keep traction..plus traction control.

My Viggen, with 230hp 2.3 HOT(High Output Turbo) gets I think 258 lb/ft from aroudn 2000ish up to the 5K range..don't quote me and if anybody checks, the 2000 has a little more motor than the 1999. Power is full throughout most of the range too. 0-60 at 6.4 isn't too impressive, but from a roll I can take a couple local ZXTT's and hold with 350Z's/STi's. 2nd gear is tons of fun but is limited to like 200 hp or a little less I think. still break em loose in second every time though..:-D August=Saab Owner's Convention in Detroit=tuning=320whp vs 230whp(stick)=bye!!

Not bragging, just going on about it because its my all time fav car, and the only one ahead of 240Z. I talk about my Z on occasion on the Saab forums, too. Can't wait for the RB Z we are going to do..!!!

Short Answer:No, Saabs aren't much of a drag car, better from a roll. And No, they are not high-revvers like Hondas, they cary their power from very low R's through the range.

I have no idea what they were rated..but the 9-5 has proved to be reliable and the "new" 9-3 is typically rated on the 03 basis, which was only right at the average for a new model. 350K on some of ours and still going strong..almost 120K on the Viggen and great.

Makes me wonder what the 240Z has for miles..I'm pretty sure it has rolled over at least, and probably, once..and back to 39K

Here's a swap that never happened - he changed his mind in favor of a Lexus engine. Probably not due to clearance issues.

th_43633_saabmotor_122_463lo.jpg

Oh, and speaking of Saab... Here's a sucker converted to 4WD and 800+ bhp:

http://www.93x.se/93x4r/index.htm

33.jpg

Oh, and regarding the capabilites as a drag car - this one ran a 10.41 quarter mile at 550 bhp.

http://www.garaget.org/?car=135

th_44009_1792_916_9880_122_1047lo.jpg

to answer a question that someone had ealier... yea they do make a rwd application for the ecotec motor and its currently in the saturn sky/pontiac solstice.. supposedly gm used the gmc/chevy colorado,canyon transmission to save money so it might be worth it to make the swap.. the stock solstice turbo makes 260hp so i'm sure that it would be worth a look for someone trying to hook up a nice 4 cylinder power plant..

I'm not doubting the capabilities of my favorite cars! It just takes some to get them good at the quarter as they are designed for passing. And the link you posted was converted to AWD(AWD is not out til mid-2007 as an 08 model, 290-300hp). They put tens of thousands into that car and it surely performs on the drag strip and track, but its not on Saab drivetrain. I wish I had that car!

My daily driver is a 1995 9000 aero. Simple modifications bring them to around 300whp but the weak spots of the cars have always been the trans. Ive gone threw two at this power level. The power comes on low around 2-2500 with instant tire spin 1-2 and somtimes third then pulls relatively hard untill around 110. Fun cars, but fwd is the downfall, hence my plans for an STI for the next daily.

The 750HP 4 cylinder that RacerX was reffering to is either the one that mull wrote about, or Per Eklund's Rallycross monster. As far as I know, Per usually had around 600HP on race days. He took his older 9-3 to Pikes Peak once, and I've heard rumors that this one had even more HP. It had to be disassembled after every few hours of hard driving. These engines can withstand some serious abuse, but in order to swap it into a 240Z you have to find a matching RWD gearbox for it.

My bud had an old 900 with the 16 valve turbo motor from a newer model in it. He used the Canadian-Spec windsheild washer tank in the wing for his methanol anti-detonant tank (something like 2.5 gallon tank, slick as hell, fit right down inside the wing!). That car was scary! Running 21psi+ from a rolling start at like 40mph, the car would light both front tires up and start smoking them while it slowed down, then he would lift throttle to let it hook and launch hard with a quick shift to fourth.

Ended up trading it for a lot of work around the house (like a new driveway, painting of the house, trim work, RV Pad...) from a pair of Somoan Brothers. They came over for a test drive, and he took them up onto the 405. I could hear when he did his usual 'smoke em at 40' routine coming up the ramp. All the one brother could say was: "No, no, no, I don't need to drive it now. Yeah I want it, when can we start?" I guess when he looked over at the guy in the passengers seat his eyes were wide as pieplates and when he asked if he was O.K. all the guy could mutter was 'Uh Huh, Uh Huh, Uh Huh!'

Got to love a company who considers 15psi of boost "not worth mentioning, nor worth putting a boost gauge in the vehicle"