HybridZ

To heck with a Jag V-12.....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I have thought up an alternate drivetrain for my pet project...was thinking of a jag v-12. After consulting a jag tec for a bit that idea went out the window quick.

I've done some research, and thought back to a job I had in high school at a local porsche shop. Now I'm thinking about droping in the entire drivetrain of a 928 (s4 or gt with the 32 valve heads). I say drivetrain because they used a rear TRANSAXLE.....shift some of that weight towards the rear!!!!!! Other than the body/engine/suspension mounting and a custom driveshaft the whole thing would be a 'drop in' mod. There are many mods for the engine, from stroker kits, chips for the bosch F.I., high flow heads, even supercharging....just hope I can supercharge my bank acount. Of course this all hinges on finding a wrecked donor vehicle somewhere. Otherwise it would be just too damn expensive.

For those of you saying "Why not a LT1?" Well I just like being unique. How many chevy V8 Z's are there??? Yep, lots. Anyway if anyone here has worked with these cars any helpfull info would be most welcome.

Neat thought, my initial reaction is what is a highly rear weight biased car like to drive? Mine's 50/50 f/r and better rear weight bias with full gas tank, and I really like how neutral it is and it's handling, far more so than stockish front weight bias......I'm not clear what it would be like with a significantly greater rear weight bias??

Other than the body/engine/suspension mounting and a custom driveshaft the whole thing would be a 'drop in' mod.
Man, you just made my day! :D That is hysterical!

"drop in"... I can appreciate that!

-Bob

owner of a "drop in" RB26dett and a "drop in" different make suspension! :D:D

Why not just buy a 928 and drive that, they can be had cheap enough. another thing is they are maintenance intensive like only a porche can be. They have a camtiming belt that needs to be replaced religiously, otherwise it will break and bend bend every single valve to the tune of 8 to 10 k bucks. Friend of mine used to work in an imports only shop, he could tell me horrorstories about the 928 all day long.

If you wanna do something different put a 350 in a 928 and get a cheap and reliable and bling bling, plus fast car that way. You could use a drivetrain out of a late model corvette with the rear trans for a "drop in install".

You might improve f/r weight distribution somewhat (then again, how much does a 928 motor weigh?), but you'd increase polar moment of inertia at the same time. Not to mention there's no room back there for a transaxle anyway. This sounds like a very good way to expend a lot of time, money, and effort for zero to very little performance improvement. You're already unique. Having a Porsche-engined Z-car won't maky you uniquer. Don't let the idea of doing something different only for the sake of being different distract you from making your car BETTER.

Is your goal just to be different? The popularity of the V8 Z was originally due to its impressive performance and low cost. A SBC swap with alumium heads, intake, water pump and light steel headers, has near 50/50 if not 49/51 weight bias. The Jag V12 and the 928 (at least the 2 valve motor) have neither impressive performance nor low cost. Ever wonder why there are so many SBC powered Jaguars? It costs more to rebuild the V12 than it does to buy 2 or 3 NEW small blocks. If you are dead set on a V8 Z with a rear trans-axle, why not a C5 corvette LS6 and 6 speed transaxle? I'm with these other guys in you aren't just barking up the wrong tree, but in the wrong forest smile.gif

If your just looking to be different you could try a new nissan 3.5 out of an altima, maxima or 350Z. That might not sound too different or exciting but I have yet to see one! That is an awsome little engine and with the popularity of the altima with the rice set the aftermarket will soon be booming! I would love to see this swap!

With the shape of the car, sticking a drivetrain in the rear would probably put you 40/60 if not 35/65, great for an F1 car but a street car? Would be an interesting engineering issue.

Its also going to be so close to you, I'd suggesting wearing a firesuit everywhere you go. I guess you wouldn't have to visit the suana to sweat off a few pounds though.

Guest Anonymous

Being different? I assumed "dropping" in a SBC into an early Z and getting it to run was extraordinary. Oregon has a concentration of old Z cars but I would be hard pressed in a days search to find a few stock samples. To find a V8 Hybrid,and locate one of these...pack a lunch and overnight bag for an extensive search on the West Coast..

Well... you've picked probably the most expensive engine and drivetrain (except for something from Ferrari) to install in your Z. Tilo, a local exotic car dealer, raced a white 928 S4 at NASA and TCRA events and he said that whenever he needed to do anything to the car the price started at $2,000. He claimed that included a simple tune-up and oil change at his reduced ($25 per hour) labor rates.

Here's where to start your research: 928 International

Guest Anonymous

Ok, Ok....so maybe I am getting a little caried away. Maybe the site should be ChevyZ though.....Anyway, still mulling the ideas about. Any opinions on the best year chasis to do a conversion on? From a looks standpoint I like the 280Zs, really anything pre zx is to my liking. Well, everybody stand by for my next whacky 'drop in' idea LoL....hmm maybe a turbine engine mwuhahaha.

Guest Anonymous

If your state is enforcing smog legislation... 1973 or earlier should provide a few loopholes. A 280 Z usually has a R200 rear differential,bigger struts on the suspension and about 300 pounds more than a 240

Originally posted by theflyingcloud:

Ok, Ok....so maybe I am getting a little caried away. Maybe the site should be ChevyZ though.....

Hey, you asked for advice, and they gave it to you. Just wasn't what you wanted to hear! tongue.gif

I agree, a Porsche powered Z would absolutely max out the "wow" factor. I don't know of anyone else that's done that, primarily because of the horrendous expense of maintainence. But if you got it to work, the world would be your oyster.