HybridZ

Looking for Lower long-nose R200 ratio

RebekahsZ

I've been a-looking for a couple days and finally am asking for help. I have a 3.36 R200 longnose differential on hand, but I've been bench racing for a couple of weeks, and I think I'm gonna need something like a 3.18 R&P for my goals. I swear I saw a link to Nissan Motorsports or somewhere where this ratio could be special ordered(?). Does this ring a bell to anybody who can put me onto a source? I'm thinking that I need to go ahead and snag one of these gearsets before they are NLA, unless I'm already too late. Perhaps someone more search-savy can help me?

post-5903-0-77773300-1444481758_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

Also, you can buy a long-nose gear set from Kameari USA in a 3.154.... for ~$1700.

http://www.kameariusa.com/r200-differential-gear-set/

Motorsport sells these gear sets in the other ratios, you might be able to order it through them.

@socorob: No idea. You could use a modified 3.36 longnose in an s30 fitted with a vlsd center. refer to this guide:

http://www.xenonz31.com/vlsdInstall.html

I went to the Kameari site-boy that's expensive; I will try to call them this week to try to confirm availability, then chew on that price a while.  Went searching for that 3.154 in the Nismo catalog and came up short.  I did find it (and a complete LSD-equipped 3.154 R200) in the 1987 catalogue.  Oh, to have a time machine!  Gonna try a PM to johnc to see if he has any resources toward this problem.  After that its a WANTED add in the classifieds. 

There were at one time 3.08's out there as  well.

The new larger diffies have a 2.72 and 3.XX available, but they're not R200's.

In Europe they fit BMW 3rd Members  as 'there are ratios whatever you want' there for that unit.

Edited by Tony D

Maybe.  If so, I will go solid 9" instead of the independent 8.8.  I saw that RX3 come in third behind Greg Ira, so a solid axle isn't the devil.  Even though that Kameari 3.154 R&P is $1700, that's still cheaper than either Will's 8.8 IRS or a 9" SRA.  Decisions, decisions.  Then there's the option of starting over with a Z dedicated to going straight, and just keeping my trusty old Z as an autocross/track day car....or just selling it all and taking up yogo, or clogging, or starting my male modeling career.  I hear that middle-aged, balding, harry-backed, pot-bellied rednecks are just what the agencies are looking for.

Maybe cheaper now, but not likely in the long run. $1700 now gets you one option and you still have the other weak points. The 8.8 or 9" SRA gives you much cheaper options down the road to swap out for different gearing, parts are cheaper and they aren't becoming harder to find. Heck, you could probably sell your hoard of rear end parts and pay for the rear end swap and couple six packs...

Finish that to-do list on the bottom of your signature, then tell me what to do Camper Boy!  No, seriously  (I was just totally kidding), but at some point we have to stop modifying and start driving.  If I stick with what I have, it may break every now and then, but I'm getting pretty good at fixing it.  Its worth the risk for me to keep it simple.

For $1000 more you could buy a complete r230 swap from TTT. There are a wide array of gearset ratios across the shortnose r200s which also work with the TTT swap. If you fabricate well, they sell the kit itemized so you can use what you want from it and reduce cost. Other home brew shortnose swaps have been discussed ad nauseum in this forum.

I looked at zzcjdm and their website listed $2300. I was looking at "Motorsport Auto" aka thezstore.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/20-1732

Brian at zccjdm has offered to order me a set from Kameari for $950. Gonna start buttering up the Mrs.....

Once I have it on hand the trick will be to get somebody to put it together with one of my CLSDs. Maybe johnc would be willing if I pay some Porsche money. Will PM to beg when all parts are on hand. I'm willing to slap an LSD carrier into an open diff that is already set up, but Im not interested in trying to install an R&P from scratch. If it involves spacing the pinion properly, I want help.

Any good diff shops in your area?

I've used and referred people to SF Differential, if you can't find a local place. They've done everything from street to race stuff. John, the owner, is an old-school dude and has been around for a long time.