HybridZ

Stock Car Mafia's '78 280z LS2 Build

Ha, I don't exactly know.  To be honest I have been neglecting quite a few other things to get the car "complete".  Having a dyno tune day set really is making me feel crunched for time but it helps to have a goal or a deadline.  

If you have kids and wife I understand.  Family always comes first!

How do you get so much done... I'm a year into my wife's VG30DETT rebuild....

If I had one of those plastic mockup engines, and a mockup trans, I'd probably go for it. Speedway motors has damaged mockup block right now for $200, but I can't find a T56 mockup and just finished putting all the internals back in mine. Wish I'd thought of it a couple weeks ago.

Will do sir!  I am pretty excited and relieved at the same time.  After that day, things should slow down a bit.  But who knows what other wild hair I might have by then.  

PM me the date/time(I assume still the 11th) for your dyno appointment at DB.

I'd like to come watch/hang out if you don't mind.

When I see people using mockup engine and trannies I get pretty jealous.  If you got your motor rebuild, could you still spring for the mock up engine and find a tranny somewhere?

If I had one of those plastic mockup engines, and a mockup trans, I'd probably go for it. Speedway motors has damaged mockup block right now for $200, but I can't find a T56 mockup and just finished putting all the internals back in mine. Wish I'd thought of it a couple weeks ago.

I wrapped up the exhaust tonight and took it out for a good hour or so.  Man does it sound good!  I am used to H pipes but this X makes it sound like nascar over here!  I am very happy with the fact there is very little rasp and no drone at all.  I just need someone else to drive the car so I can hear how it really sounds.  It is QUITE a bit more mellow than open headers thank god.  

I checked yesterday and also again today and I think I am exhaust leak free.  I will look for some black sooting after a few hundred miles and fix it from there.  I just wanted to fix any leaks prior to scuffing and hi temp painting.  Gonna take the car to work tomorrow  :cool:

Finding a tranny somewhere would be the hard part. T56's are like gold these days, broken ones fetching over 1k. I'll be giving some thought to the idea of taking the trans apart again, probably 5 hours work but seems like it would be worthwhile to do the exhaust without having to climb under the car 50+ times.

I didn't know broken ones were going for so much.  And I guess who knows what internal damage may lie in there....

If I were you I'd put it in and deal with climbing in and out a bagillion times.  5 hours would get most of the exhaust work done ;)  But again, I'm 28 and feel pretty spry yet!

Finding a tranny somewhere would be the hard part. T56's are like gold these days, broken ones fetching over 1k. I'll be giving some thought to the idea of taking the trans apart again, probably 5 hours work but seems like it would be worthwhile to do the exhaust without having to climb under the car 50+ times.

The rest of the exhaust was pretty straight forward with not too much complexity.  I felt I did a better job on the mid pipe though.  I took the U/180 deg. bend pipe and cut it in half.  These got tacked on to the mufflers and had the perfect clearance for the diff mount and gas tank.  Then a 90 deg. bend pipe was shortedned on one end and lengthened on the tailpipe side to get it all to line up.

20160622_193603_zpskokfidvu.jpg

The great part is the mounts I got from Summit months ago at the EXACT height I need to mount the end.  The stock mounting location on the drive side was utilized and some angle iron was used for the other side.  The only down side if the pipes are not exactly level/parallel with the ground.  The tips gave me enough leeway to get them close to parallel.  

20160623_193000_zpsomydrylp.jpg

The tips are nice and even and don't look kittywampus!

20160623_205928_zpspqpwon6t.jpg

20160623_205943_zpst3z3zeeb.jpg

20160623_210016_zpsu5azumd1.jpg

20160623_210026_zpsulpol8jl.jpg

What really turns me on is how easy the full system is to drop and install!  It literally is 2 nuts and 2 V band clamps to remove the back half.  Then 2 more V band clamps for the mid pipe.  :)