HybridZ

280Z Kick panel speaker pods in development. with content!

Derek

I'm going to try this again.

Hi everyone. Over the years I’ve gotten quite a few requests for kick panel speaker pods for the 280Z. What was holding me back was uninterrupted access to a 280 for measuring and fitting. I finally found one that was close enough and cheap enough for me to buy. One thing that is very apparent is there isn’t a lot of room to work with. Especially on the drivers side.

At this point I’ve completed a working prototype for the drivers side and wanted to get input from interested buyers as to the layout on the passengers side. 

The bad news is there really isn’t any room for a high end 5 1/4” speaker. I designed it around these Pyle PLS502 slim speakers.    I also believe the retro sound R525N will fit as well. There is 1.9” available right now for top mount clearance. Most of the higher end speakers require 2 3/16” and that’s not going to work.  I found a few models that had a 1 7/8” top mount clearance. The tricky part is how far the grill sticks out beyond the speaker. None of the manufacturers listed grill height. 

Here is a few shots of the drivers side. Keep in mind this is a rough prototype and the cuts are crude.  I have the speaker as far up and as far back as I can get it. There is reasonable room to get your foot over to the dead pedal. It may take a bit of retraining but it’s doable.

20170707114237-e32b8c12-me.jpg

Clutch pedal just clears grill

20170707114240-78cb09a5-me.jpg

Dead pedal is accessible. 

20170707114246-0c10ba46-me.jpg

Remember the cuts are really rough on the prototype.

20170707114250-95cdbb9c-me.jpg

Before I start the passengers side I wanted some input as to whether to angle the speaker to improve acoustics or keep it flat to match the drivers side. And how to handle fuse box access.  

The pricing should be around $100.00 - 125.00 for the pair. The CNC router work is much more complicated than my regular panels requiring multiple setups.
So if you think you may be in the market for a set and want to have some input either post here or PM me 

Thanks
Derek
Edited by Derek

Yes tweeters in the pillar would be nice. But these are in the kick panels:)

Not getting a lot of feedback on fuse box access. In the mean time I figured that like the drivers side there is only one place for the speaker. You will have to remove the panel to change a fuse. I use industrial velcro on mine with good results so that probably will be the plan.

Stay tuned

• 3 months later...

Panels are now in production.

20170707114308-557fcc4d-me.jpg

Well they will be on Monday:)

These things were a PIA to make work. Although it seemed like a simple concept to me when I started it really wasn't. There is a lot of things to have happen in a very small area. 

Drivers side mimics the existing ECU cover and uses it's mounting screws.

20170707114336-109c2bb2-me.jpg

Good space to get to the dead pedal but you may have to adjust your driving style to get to it.

20170707114332-d489e6f7-me.jpg

Passengers side mounts using the existing upper trim screw and a piece of industrial velcro attached to whatever the black control box is above it.

20170707114325-d49ff6d1-me.jpg

To get to the fuse box you loosen the trim screw, pull the panel away from the velcro and slide it out. The screw hole is slotted so you don't have to remove the screw. If this seems like a lot of work to change a fuse you probably should fix what's blowing your fuses before buying speaker panels!

20170707114328-712e9c56-me.jpg

Here is a small sample of the scrap I made getting the fit, the vacuum forming and the CNC routing worked out. 

20170707114254-f9110410-me.jpg

Now for the fine print.

Price is $115.00 plus shipping for the pair.

Right now I'm only saying they fit a 77 for sure as that is what I have here. I've lined up a 78 and 76 for testing. I'm looking for someone with a 75  test fit as well. So if you have a 77 you're good to go if you have a 75 or 76 and want to participate in my testing program PM me. I looked at pictures on line of the different year interiors and they all look the same to me. 

The clutch pedal is really really close to the grill. There may be cars where you have to dent the grill a little up front at the top so be prepared for that. I was more interested in keeping the dead pedal as clear as possible.

There is 2" of clearance from the mounting lip to the ECU for speaker depth. You may be able to do a deeper speaker with a spacer ring and some grill mods but I'm not making any claims to that. The Pyle PLS502 fits as it is.

PM me if you are interested in a set.

Thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek

Have a set for my 76 280Z on order. Plus a set of Pyle PLS502 speakers. These panels are just what I needed to upgrade the sound in my Z.

Currently have Pioneer 6X9's in MSA rear speaker panel with a Pioneer deck, but Treble gets lost in the rear deck area..

These should punch it up, along with a 400w Pioneer GM- A3602 Amp and Polk Audio DB1001 Tweeters. I know it's not " Audiophile quality"... but it will do for me. Full details and report on install when I get the parts. 

Just picked up Derek's 280Z speaker panels. I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the product. The finish is excellent and looks factory made. Shipping was very fast and well packaged.

Will do the initial install tomorrow on my 1976 280z and report back on fitting. 

I am waiting on my speakers to arrive ( Pyle PLSL502 Shallow speakers ) , and they should be here next Wednesday. Meanwhile the installation and picture I take tomorrow should show up any issues with installs on 1975 and 1976 models. I can also take measurements to see exactly how much space is available. BTW,  my car has factory A/C, not that I think that will make a difference to the install..

To be continued...

Edited by Chickenman

Had to wait for speakers to come in. So here are the first few pictures of the Datsun-Works 280Z front speaker Panels on my 1976 280Z. Fit and finish is excellent. They look factory made. I only had to make one small modification on the drivers side to the lower mounting hole. This may be due to the hood cable being positioned slightly lower on the 1975 and 1976 models than the 77's and 78's. There is a difference in layout between the years.

The Pyle PLSL502 fit perfect and are highly rated from what I've read. I got mine on E-Bay for $36 pair USD. The speaker is exact;y 1.643" from the bottom of speaker cone,  to the bottom mounting  lip of the speaker.  On the passenger side panel. there is 1.858" clearance to the top of the fuse box lid.These dimensions may be important to others who may prefer different speakers. There are shallow component speakers available, so now you have the dimensions you need to use alternative speakers..

Didn't get a chance to measure clearance on Drivers side as my back muscles spasmed on me. That put paid to any further work today!!! Suffice to say, that the Pyle PLSL502 speakers will fit.

Edit: On the drivers side there is 1.965" clearance to the top of the ECU.

post-44147-0-00143400-1464936396_thumb.jpg

post-44147-0-66949000-1464936427_thumb.jpg

post-44147-0-59307800-1464936534_thumb.jpg

Slight modification on drivers side mounting to fit 1976 model.

post-44147-0-15877700-1464936591_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chickenman

Some more pictures of passenger side fitment. Tomorrow I'll fit speakers and run wiring.

Edit: Note my passenger side is sitting a bit lower than normal because I've removed the carpet escutcheon plate for refinishing. With plate in place speaker panel will move upwards a little bit. Should be perfect...or even more perfect than it is.

Click for large image:

post-44147-0-00926700-1464936870_thumb.jpg

post-44147-0-38182400-1464936959_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chickenman

Sorry for the delay, but I've been having some back issues lately and I can't get under the Dash for very long. Here are a few more pictures and some notes.

1: Driver side fits much easier with small notch I made at the bottom slot. Derek will likely modify production models based on this feed back.

2: I have included some pictures with my size 12, D width running shoes on. These are the bulkiest shoes I own ( with a big flare on side of soles )  and as you can see, there is lots of space. I have a lot more room with my dress shoes or driving shoes. Access to clutch pedal is a none issue. Access to dead pedal is fine. You just learn to slip your foot back and under. People without size 12 feet would have even more clearance.

I'll update later with speakers in place.

Top fits perfect:

post-44147-0-99934300-1465261667_thumb.jpg

Lots of room under dead pedal

post-44147-0-68261600-1465261709_thumb.jpg

Clutch access is perfect... even with " Clown shoes "

post-44147-0-69880400-1465261816_thumb.jpg

Hard to see from this angle, but dead pedal still has a fair bit of room. Lots of clearance  between my toe and speaker panel.

post-44147-0-33690400-1465262101_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chickenman