HybridZ

Fuel Pump Options

I obtained a pre...umm, "hybridized"?  '75 280z fairly recently and, having swapped the tranny and done a bunch of other stuff, I'm now trying to tackle a fuel starvation issue.

The previous owner installed a very generic Mr. Gasket 12S fuel pump in the engine bay (apparently 4-7 PSI.)  This has caused me some fuel starvation and vaporlock issues.

The stock mechanical pump on my engine (1970 SBC 350) is apparently not an option, both per the JTR conversion manual, as well as my own experimentation.

What have you folks used in the way of fuel pumps?  The JTR manual says to mount near the gas tank, but it doesn't mention brand or capacity for an SBC 350...

This is the fuel pump I use with a SBC 350. Installed it seven years ago. No problems.

Output pressure is adjustable. Not much noise.

Be sure to install a fuel pressure gauge.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1791post-178-0-43623600-1471139632_thumb.jpgpost-178-0-18125500-1471141920_thumb.jpg

":The JTR manual says to mount near the gas tank" Correct. Fuel pumps push better than they suck.

Be sure to search the fuel forum for more information about which  fuel pump to use  as the topic has been discussed many many times.

post-178-0-65403700-1471139974_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

Ditto Miles comments.  I'm using a similar fuel pump in my mild SBC 350 with no problems.  Not sure what HP you're making, but any decent electric pump should meet your needs.  Probably want to incorporate some kind of automatic cut-off switch in case of crash or accident -- a cheap inertial switch works fine. 

As an FYI, I have run my car on the street with just the stock mechanical pump....it seems to work fine for general street use, but is clearly lacking for any hard driving.

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto Miles comments.  I'm using a similar fuel pump in my mild SBC 350 with no problems.  Not sure what HP you're making, but any decent electric pump should meet your needs.  Probably want to incorporate some kind of automatic cut-off switch in case of crash or accident -- a cheap inertial switch works fine. 

As an FYI, I have run my car on the street with just the stock mechanical pump....it seems to work fine for general street use, but is clearly lacking for any hard driving.

Whats the problem with a mechanical pump? Clearance issues? Mechanical pumps can easily support big horsepower..