HybridZ

76 280z and the junkyard RB

FukuZ

Hey i own a 1976 280z that currently has the stock l28 in it. Im using megasquirt to run it and so far so good. Anyways walking through a local junk yard today i found a wrecked skyline with a intact RB20DET. Now i was going to build a L28ET as i have a extra motor and most of the parts but as the junk yard is selling the motor for $245 i figure the deal is to good to pass up. Now obviously i plan on rebuilding the RB but i have a few questions, and i have been using the search function but im still not clear.

1) Is this a worth while swap or am i better off sticking with the L?

2) Motor mounts, some threads i have read talk about notching some talk about replacing them all together, which is it?

3) Also read that you can and also cant use the stock transmission mounts and drive shaft, again which is it?

Thanks for any clarification on these matters

1) What are you goals? If they're sub 300 then you should stick with the L since you already have megasquirt setup. 

2) McKinney mounts should work. If you're making your own it would depend on how you want to mount it, but I think the Mckinney mounts bolt straight to the stock crossmember. 

3) Trans mount is different so you will have to either make or buy one (McKinney sells one also). Trans mount is different than the Rb25/26. Drive shaft you will probbaly shorten, although I don't know enough about that trans to give you a definite yes. Shorting is easy if you find a good driveline shop that can shorten and balance one. 

I read it as Foo-koo. Not Fah-que. I was way off.

as to your original post, it depends on what you want.

You can make an L28et pretty powerful, definitely surpassing the RB20's stock power.

Also seeing as the value of S30's is going surprisingly high these days, you'd probably be better off in the long run using the L28et because it's a "Datsun motor" as if that matters.

The L series will be easier for sure though. 

Edited by Neverdone