HybridZ

2jzge throttle body

M_Dragan

On black friday I picked up a vvti 2jzge out of a 98 GS300 for $50. Perfect candidate for my na-t build. Although, it didn't have the throttle body with it when I bought it. I was searching around for a replacement throttle body and I've seen a couple different options. Would the throttle body listed below work for a +/- 400-500hp build range? It's $80 cheap, all the rest of them are about $150-200. 

Throttle body I'm considering: https://www.ebay.com/itm/90mm-Reverse-Throttle-Body-With-TPS-Sensor-For-Toyota-Supra-1JZ-2JZ-Black/222249823126?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

IMG_5066.thumb.JPG.2fd063bb387a8db2195c37cd914787d2.JPGIMG_5067.thumb.JPG.252a2759675e33961e7324c520122547.JPG

Honestly it depends on what type of intake manifold you are going to go with and the size of your intercooler. An adapter plate really lets you run whatever you want. 

I will say the consensus is to steer clear of the ebay throttle bodies. People have posted problems with idle and such and found the throttle blade had warped and wrapped around the shaft. Any large displacement engine will have an adequate throttle body. The Lexus V8's have a pretty good one and even have a TPS. Really the throttle body doesn't need to be bigger then the size of your intercooler piping, getting one bigger then your intercooler piping will be a bit of a waste as you will have to couple down to the intercooler pipe size and the increased pressure when you go off the throttle will have a nice kind of restriction that will cause it to inflate somewhat.

2.5 inch intercooler pipe size has an aerodynamic drag (I think that is the term) at about 400+ hp, so if you are going to 2.75 inch piping you still won't really need anything bigger than a 80mm throttle body. 4-500 hp is a pretty stupid amount of power. I am on the verge of regretting mine, can't go anywhere near the fun part of the power band if it is cold or anything approaching damp.

Hmm yeah I'll steer clear of the ebay one. I guess I'll look for a v8 lexus throttle body. You say that 4-500hp is too much, how much should you recommend? Since I got it for so cheap, I was planning on upgrading to gte spec internals because it'll have to be rebuilt anyway. Should I bother?

Edited by M_Dragan

So there's secret option 350Z that exists. However you didn't list or I'm retarded and didn't read what engine management you're going with, that will help determine what direction to go in. If you're going aftermarket ffim then I'd say look at getting an aluminum throttle body spacer and weld it on. I'm using a 350Z 70mm TB and 350Z pedal. Spacer, TB and pedal cost me $90 total.