HybridZ

I had a slight ticking sound in my engine a while ago and decided to adjust my valve lashes. I had no issues adjusting them, but when I put everything back in place I noticed a knocking noise coming from then engine, and it smells like its burning oil, my spark plugs are all black as well.

I dont know what might have caused the knocking sound, as it wasn't there before. Could it be a collapsed lifter or a bad stem seal?

I'll attach a video of the engine running, you can hear the knocking pretty clearly.

This thing is driving me nuts.. I try to fix one problem and end up with 10 new ones.

I don't hear a knocking noise.  If you didn't let the engine warm up you'll get a wet black deposit.  Wet carbon is greasy feeling.

You might be overthinking things, and nervous about your recent work.  If you're sure got the lash aright, warm it up and drive it and see how it sound when it's hot.

I didnt drive the car at all, I let it idle and it smells like burnt oil. Its idling at 500 rpm, normally it was at 700-800. It sounds more like a tick in the video, but it actually sounds like clanking metal

Edited by smsms

9 minutes ago, smsms said:

I didnt drive the car at all, I let it idle and it smells like burnt oil. Its idling at 500 rpm, normally it was at 700-800. It sounds more like a tick in the video, but it actually sounds like clanking metal

The idle speed change is a clue.  Could be a big vacuum leak.  A small leak raises idle speed, a bigger one drops it.  A huge one kills the engine.  Could be lash set too tight, or too loose.  If you have an intake system vacuum gauge it's a good tool for comparing cylinders while running.  The needle will jump.

Overall though, all you did, hopefully, was adjust the gap between rocker arm pad and cam lobe.  If you got all of the hoses connected correctly and the valve cover gasket placed properly it should be fine.  The oil smell might be oil leaking from the valve cover.  Who knows.  There's nothing you can really screw up.  I would retrace the steps you took and see if something's out of place.