HybridZ

Where to install Electronic Boost Controller

I have a couple questions about my electronic boost controller that I am using with MegaSquirt.

1. The EBC has 3 ports. I assume 2 are input/output for the vacuum line and the 3rd is actually the air that vents to atmosphere? Does which port you use matter? See pic #1.
  2. Can I install it behind the heat shield here (on the master cylinder side - see pic #2)? If not, where is typical?
  3. If I install it here, is the "vent to atmosphere" gas gonna be too hot for the master cylinder or is that amount insignificant?
  4. The tube coming out of the turbo/wastegate is much larger than the one going into the EBC - how should I best address this step down and step up in size without a ton of awkward connections?

EBC (#1):

KOI6gW7.jpg

Install Location (#2):

VdkaG8r.jpg?1

Hose to wastegate is different size than EBC connection (#4):

QkfEFFw.jpg

7 hours ago, AlbatrossCafe said:
  • The EBC has 3 ports. I assume 2 are input/output for the vacuum line and the 3rd is actually the air that vents to atmosphere? Does which port you use matter? See pic #1.  
    • #2 goes to the wastegate actuator, #3 goes to the compressor outlet, #1 is vented to atmosphere.  There is a description on the AMPEfi website.
  • Can I install it behind the heat shield here (on the master cylinder side - see pic #2)? If not, where is typical?
    • I located my boost control valve on the strut tower up and away from heat sources.  Mounting it on the heat shield is asking for trouble. 
  • If I install it here, is the "vent to atmosphere" gas gonna be too hot for the master cylinder or is that amount insignificant?
    • Don't mount it on the heat shield.
  • The tube coming out of the turbo/wastegate is much larger than the one going into the EBC - how should I best address this step down and step up in size without a ton of awkward connections?
    • Step down metal hose tee

• 2 weeks later...

One of your pics scare me you dont want the harness through the turbo like that.. Did I not leave enough slack? I am referring to pic 2 btw.

IM With Rossman here no on the heat shield.

I would put the EBC on the side shock tower. I have mine there too..

Also if you dont want to run an adaptor for vacuum line , You can get the appropriate barbs for the solenoid I believe its a 1/8npt.

You can plug one of the two turbo fittings never understood why Nissan put two boost referenced on the compressor housing. 

9 hours ago, softopz said:

One of your pics scare me you dont want the harness through the turbo like that.. Did I not leave enough slack? I am referring to pic 2 btw.

IM With Rossman here no on the heat shield.

I would put the EBC on the side shock tower. I have mine there too..

Also if you dont want to run an adaptor for vacuum line , You can get the appropriate barbs for the solenoid I believe its a 1/8npt.

You can plug one of the two turbo fittings never understood why Nissan put two boost referenced on the compressor housing. 

Don't be scared! Nothing is mounted yet. The harness just fell that way while I held it for the pic. Side of the shock tower seems like an easy location and I'll throw it on there.

Yeah, I would prefer to avoid a vacuum line adapter. I was wondering about having larger barbs for the solenoid. My concern was, if I add in larger barbs, does that risk running too much air through the EBC and damaging something? I was thinking it might have had the smaller barbs for a reason, but I have no idea. If not, this seems like the easiest solution.

• 2 weeks later...