HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure

Wondering and asking questions about bleeding the brakes myself, I was pointed towards "Speed Bleeders".  I love the way you can do it yourself!  The check valve allows me to open them up a half turn, and then pump and add fluid, and when that wheel is bled, close the vavle and go to the next one.  Can also bleed the new Master Cylinder this way!  

Well, I ordered them last night. #SB1010 for the front discs, 2 each....#SB7100 for the rear drums, 2 each.....#SB7100S for the master cylinder, 2 each. Also got their dust covers, and their kit, which comes with the tubing and a RE-USABLE bag. Now I can do it myself. 🙂

www.speedbleeder.com

Edited by A to Z

20 hours ago, A to Z said:

Wondering and asking questions about bleeding the brakes myself, I was pointed towards "Speed Bleeders".  I love the way you can do it yourself!  The check valve allows me to open them up a half turn, and then pump and add fluid, and when that wheel is bled, close the vavle and go to the next one.  Can also bleed the new Master Cylinder this way!  

Well, I ordered them last night. #SB1010 for the front discs, 2 each....#SB7100 for the rear drums, 2 each.....#SB7100S for the master cylinder, 2 each. Also got their dust covers, and their kit, which comes with the tubing and a RE-USABLE bag. Now I can do it myself. 🙂

www.speedbleeder.com

Nice Joe, That will be great to have all new brakes.. Your car is looking great.. Thanks for the updates..

9-6-2021.....Started work on my front end today. It takes me a long time, as I don't do just the basics and call it good. I want to clean everything up, go over everything and check things out.🙂 I think it's part of the experience of doing all of this. I kind of like the way they put the car together, with the exception of the the metal clips they put in there to hold the brake lines on there. I can tell you they sure don't like going back in!!! Today I managed to get the driver's front strut out, and changed out the strut insert.....it was a "Mullholland by Interpart"....and it was STUCK in there! Cool 1970's stuff....how did it get in there? Why was the rear not changed?? Questions of the past with no answers...... where the rears were originals in their factory oil, this was bone dry. I got it out and dropped in my new KYB. Torqued in at 75 ft. lbs just like the rear. Finally figured out how to get my cheap spring compressors to work, and I finally got that darn Eibach front spring in. I debated whether I should cut a coil off...a lot of guys say they did it, but I have seen some that didn't cut and it worked well. So, If I cut it, and it is too low, you can't put it back on....so I left it be. While apart, a lot of things got changed out. The strut bearing is a moog, pre-greased .....new ball joint, made my "ISG"....got it in....new rack end link (ISG made)....having issues getting that bolt to loosen at 49 years in place. I will add some pics....but it has been a learning issue. Why hire it out when I can learn?? I have the strut back in, things are mostly back together, still need to swap out the TC bushings, and do some painting. Let me get some pics. This is good stuff to go with coffee. 🙂

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9-9-2021. Continued work on front end. I got the drivers front done except for going around torqueing everything on that side. Jumped on the passenger/ right side. The strut insert is rusted in so tight it won't come out! I tried heat....heat and tapping on it to loosen it up, several bouts with PB Blaster and letting it soak in....nothing. 🙁 So I will unfortunately have to get a different strut housing. All of the other stuff that I did on the other side I readied and prepped, bolts cleaned up painted here and there. the locknut for the right side end link on the steering, I had to use a monkey wrench to get it loose....I also had some time so I went ahead a mounted my rear louvers as an initial fit. Here are a few pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

My car originally had the factory optional rear window louvers.  By the time it came up for sale to me though, they were gone, just the brackets remained.  Thanks to Glenn Delos Santos out in California.  He gave me a great deal on them!  Now she is back to where she is supposed to be.  Nice initial fitting.  Now I have to put my BRE rear spoiler on. :)

louvers initial.jpg

Edited by A to Z

On 8/25/2021 at 12:32 AM, A to Z said:

should I go back to original style headlights?  Not sure if these are too modern.  Thanks.

Dapper Lighting makes a great light; they look classic, provide modern lighting and unfortunately the price reflects. I'd buy them again for my 280zx any day.

16 hours ago, A to Z said:

My car originally had the factory optional rear window louvers.  By the time it came up for sale to me though, they were gone, just the brackets remained.  Thanks to Glenn Delos Santos out in California.  He gave me a great deal on them!  Now she is back to where she is supposed to be.  Nice initial fitting.  Now I have to put my BRE rear spoiler on. :)

louvers initial.jpg

Nice...

9-14-2021. More progress today. My replacement strut housing arrived, and so I went ahead and finished getting the suspension together. I then installed my brake "Speed Bleeders", and they work fantastic! I made sure to use the synthetic DOT 3 stuff I got at O'Reilleys. Also took a couple pics of my Z car....it's coming together! Monday was 3 months of having her. I put in A LOT of effort on this one. A LOT done in those 3 short months. 🙂

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg