Jump to content
HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/2/2021 at 7:10 PM, A to Z said:

I am using the factory exhaust manifold.  It is a 3 into 2 setup.  The exhaust bolts up to it as 2 pipes for about 1-2 foot, then collects into one.  I'm going to paint it flat black with the high heat paint.  I looked into headers but they said "for manual transmission only", so I decided I would keep the cool factory setup. :)

On the 280Z, dad never got a header for it because he found that the stock exhaust manifold was as good as a header.  So he thought, why bother???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As to the orange air cleaner.  I gotta wonder if it will work better with it than other ones.  You and I talked in the past about changing air cleaners on old motorcycles made the carbs almost untunable as the factory air boxes were so well tuned.  On old motorcycles people change out the air cleaners to make them look cool which is a decent reason to do it.  But if you want reliability, power range and decent gas mileage...

 

With the factory SUs, will you be better off with the original air cleaner??? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also believe the factory air box is stronger and tighter meaning it will do a better job of filtration...??

 And the orange just looks cool.  You have white with blue and orange.. Kinda like the ol Ford Gulf or, Union 76 racing colors... 

Edited by 57GMC
add a sentence...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, all good points.  Yesterday I dug it out and cleaned it up with steel wool, brake cleaner a rag and an old toothrush.  It has the hinged front door where you can close it for winter to divert air to the bottom port tied to the exhaust manifold, or to summer for straight through air.  Someone in the cars past, took it off and drilled a bunch of 3/8 holes in the bottom of it to let more air in.  At any rate, after cleaning it up and using some turtle wax swirl remover, I polished it and buffed it out, and even with a few character scratches on it, that patina makes it look nice, and after the turtle wax it is shiny orange.  When I first took it off, I noticed inside it was velocity stacks.  Heck I could run it without an air filter in there and be fine. :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NO pics as of right now, but been very busy.  I got the driver's side fender back on, rust taken care of and everything painted black in there.  I also got the cowl section cleaned up and painted,  it was TOUGH getting the wiper arms back in there.  I may still may have to play with them a bit.  I picked up some Appliance 14X8 Wire mag wheels yesterday for 250 shipped, so 35 bucks a wheel....not much for tire selection though.  Slow slog forward on progress.

Wiremag1.jpg

wiremag2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, A to Z said:

NO pics as of right now, but been very busy.  I got the driver's side fender back on, rust taken care of and everything painted black in there.  I also got the cowl section cleaned up and painted,  it was TOUGH getting the wiper arms back in there.  I may still may have to play with them a bit.  I picked up some Appliance 14X8 Wire mag wheels yesterday for 250 shipped, so 35 bucks a wheel....not much for tire selection though.  Slow slog forward on progress.

Wiremag1.jpg

wiremag2.jpg I like the wheels Joe and period specific, traditional... Nice

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been busy the last week.  I took the driver's side front fender off, repaired the rust, painted inside the fender and painted the inner fender well, except where the strut is.  I then cleaned up and painted the cowl, not sure if the wiper will work, so may have to go back in there later.  I had to repaint one side of the engine compartment, as when I was using a torch and scraper to remove the under coating the metal got so hot it bubbled up the paint!  So, I finally got that fixed.  under the battery box, I got it undercoated and then painted over it.  The paint there has a yellow hue. :(  Oh well, progress is being made.  Here is a before and after pic of the front of the engine being cleaned up.  I also got most of the front nose done.  here are some more pics:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...