HybridZ

FutoFab vs OEM Outer Stub Axles?

WindowsDown

I’m looking into the full FutoFab axle solution with a STi R180. Anyone running Futofab axles or outer stubs and have any thoughts/feedback?

I noticed the outer/wheel stub axle by FutoFab looks slightly different than the OEM or the Silvermine one. Does anyone know why the OEM/Silvermine stub axles are narrowed in the middle (where the spacer rests)?

I have a 280z and targeting 300-400hp (street/autocross, no drag/slicks), which I think stock 280z stubs can handle, but I’m mostly interested in getting 5-lug wheel options and I’ve seen some reports of old stub axles breaking due to wear/tear and abuse.

FutoFab axle w/stubs: https://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=217:futofab-high-performance-930-cv-axle-system-for-datsun-240260280z-s30-1970-78&catid=38:datsun-drivetrain&Itemid=122

Silvermine stubs: https://www.silverminemotors.com/products/5-lug-conversion-rear-hub-stub-axles-for-240z-260z-280z-4-and-5-lug-custom-billet-stub-shafts

Futofab_Datsun_Z-Car_Wheel_Stub_1.jpg

OEM.PNG

There is a guy out there named Fritz that sells an integrated CV with the shaft ends already machined for STI diff and S30 hub. I bought them a few years ago, but the Z is not yet road worthy (a few more months). Maybe others can chime in. This would save weight, and probably save money if your are going CV’s anyways. 

13 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

There is a guy out there named Fritz that sells an integrated CV with the shaft ends already machined for STI diff and S30 hub.

Aydin, you are correct that Fritz McKellar produced these a couple years ago; but I think he got out of it due to insufficient market interest.  (He's mainly a 510 guy, IIRC.)  It appears that ZCarDepot sells something similar, but only as a bolt-in replacement for the stock half-shafts.  Pretty decent price, though, for bolt-in CV axles.  https://zcardepot.com/collections/rear-axle-and-differential/products/cv-rear-axle-replacment-240z-260z-280z

To the OP....sorry, can't directly answer your question regarding first-hand experience with the FutoFab or Silvermine units.  My other experiences with those two vendors is that both are good; but would have to say that the FutoFab hardware is a notch above most other vendors for S30 aftermarket parts & pieces.  FWIW, I can also tell you that my stock half-shafts and stub axles have held up fine to LOTS of track and auto-x at 300 WHP and slicks.

+1 on the stock halfshafts as John mentioned. These things are shockingly resilient. Greg IRA won two national road racing championships with 100% OEM half-shafts. I still don’t quite understand how these U-joints last so long without being serviceable or an obvious means to keep them lubed. 

in theory, CV’s will gain you back ~2% drivetrain parasitic loss thanks to the “constant velocity” component (why else are they called CV’s), but I’m not aware of anyone who has done a side-by-side dyno test specifically in a Z.

Too bad about Fritz getting out of the game. I don’t blame him. It is really, really hard to turn a profit with these low-volume manufactured parts. There really isn’t an inexpensive way to make them in low volume and still have decent quality. T3 and Apex are all the rage thanks to good marketing, but their parts are fairly inexpensive to make. I can find many of their components on McMaster-carr, and the rest is just fabrication, CNC, water jet, etc. not knocking them, just pointing out why it’s so hard to make reasonably priced rotating equipment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jhm said:

To the OP....sorry, can't directly answer your question regarding first-hand experience with the FutoFab or Silvermine units.  My other experiences with those two vendors is that both are good; but would have to say that the FutoFab hardware is a notch above most other vendors for S30 aftermarket parts & pieces.  FWIW, I can also tell you that my stock half-shafts and stub axles have held up fine to LOTS of track and auto-x at 300 WHP and slicks.

Appreciate that feedback, I'll likely end up using some parts from both Futo and Silvermine.

One of my half shafts doesn't pivot smoothly and I desperately need new wheels/tires.  So putting the money towards a beefier solution (with 5 lugs too) is tempting.. Of course aftermarket is always a risk too, I have a bad taste in my mouth after attempting the Apex rear solution.

Edited by WindowsDown

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, maybe my OEM stub axles can't handle much more.  After a deep clean, I can see what I assume is micro cracks around the studs.  Interestingly, with a scotchbrite the crack does seem to visually disappear.. Is it possible it's surface level or best to assume these are on their way out?

PXL_20231112_224430255.jpg

PXL_20231112_223851908.jpg