HybridZ

Valve lash too small

zuhow

Ugh.  This project has been on hold for a very long time, and now I'm getting somewhere, or so I thought.  This is such an ugly issue that I'd like some input from you guys.

After getting the engine started and getting ready for a test drive, I decided to check the valve lash.  I've got about half of what I should have (0.016" measured v. 0.030" spec).  I'm all the way down on the post- the lock nut is tight to the post.  I've got the standard 0.120" pads in there.

What I think happened is that the machine shop set the valves too deep.  I was smart enough to not trust them, and I did a wipe test on each and every rocker.  What they had sent back to me would have definitely self destructed. I've run the engine maybe 10h between break in and assorted testing.  All the lobes and rockers look fine.

So my question is "now what?" and I fear the answer is that I'm pulling that head and sending it out for a rework. Your comments are appreciated.

I think you're mixing metric and English units. Nissan spec is .008" and .010" (inches) cold. So you need to make the clearance smaller thus raising the post.

Edited by rossman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

>I think you're mixing metric and English units.

Totally possible, and I would be happy to declare that I am, in fact, an idiot!

Standby for results....

**edit**

Yes boys and girls, I AM an idiot.  rossman, send me your next bar tab- It's on me....

Edited by zuhow
update to comment

I made the same mistake setting my L28 rebuild I did in high school. I realized my mistake and Corrected it after having some noise on the drive home. It’s an easy mistake to make. Check the lash semi-regularly too. For a while after break-in I had one valve that would lose adjustment slowly until about 1,000 miles on the engine when it finally decided to stay where I set it.

Edited by Sanchez