HybridZ

1/4 Mile times from some of you V8Z's?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I was just curious as to the 1/4 mile times that most of you guys get. Could you please include your setup and horsepower and your average 1/4 mile time. If I built a standard V8Z with a SMC motor with 350Hp and all the aluminum parts, what would I probably get for a 1/4 mile time? Thanks

My guess is that Ron Jones has one of the fastest Z cars around, (and I should let him reply) but here it goes - 1976 280Z, 540ci BB Chevy, 2sp Powerglide, Ford 9" and turns 8.56@160,1.25 60ft.

That is one very, very quick Z - check it out in the "Readers Rides" area.

Guest RON JONES

Thank you SpeedRacer.swat5444 my frist zcar was powered by a 355ci chevy with a B+M 144 suppercharger,430hp,TH350 trans,stock rear(r200 I think?).It went 11.40,s@ 125mph.

Guest RON JONES

Stan,133mph!Wow thats f#%#&*@ flying.I would think you were spining the tires off the line?That 133 is what a car that runs 9.90,s is turning for trap speed(I use to have a 80 malibu that ran 9.80,s@135).I use to suffer from the same problem.My first Z that ran 11.40,s@125 had the mph of a 10 second car.

Stan, 490+ horsepower is a REALLY STOUT 355!

Scottie, I posted the same question when I first joined. I too was suprised how few people have gone to the track. I guess some of us either don't have time, don't have one close by, don't have the project done yet, (lots of projects in the build stages) or don't care about 1/4 times. I would bet as more projects are completed we'll see more posts for the 1/4. This site was only started this year. Lots of members cars were only in the planning stages. I love hearing the stories about the proud owners first drives! I hope more timeslips will be coming. Me included.

Swat5444, in answer to your question, With a true 350 hp in a 2700 lb Z, will net you about a 118 mph in the quarter...with ideal conditions! This would be in the 11s if you get good traction.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 12, 2000).]

ya I really wished I could have made more passes.

I knew I had to pedal in first

then wide open in second (spun)

third hooked hard and flew

think it might have got in the 10's

with practice but tech inspector nor I knew

the kind of times this thing would put down

this was all done on M/T DOT's 9"

the track here was very concerned about the safety of my car and I dont blame them a bit.

never dynoed that combo

so I have no Idea but guees 450 hp.

lotsa compression 11.9:1

246/253@.050 and .510/.507 comp cam

and here is the joke

HOME pocket ported and gasket matched with drill.

sportsman II heads.

performer rpm with 750 vac. modified holly

lotsa time spent with jetting YUK.

but it was a lot of fun on the street.

Stan

If your interested in knowing what my Stock 350 with the 700 R4 and street tires/no converter, Holley 750 VAC , block huggers, mild mild cam ran, it was 13.9's at 98 MPH. I figure only about 260HP or so. I can't wait to get the engine done &*%$#@. I am doing the new 1/2 inch fuel lines and getting the tank replummed for the new lines as well. Up front is almost done. What does amyone think of the new ZZ5 motor from scoggin? 385 HP with quick burn heads.

CorZette

Guest Anonymous

The JTR manuel didn't cover anything about fuel lines did it? Would it be possible to use the stock fuel lines with my 350? I talked to my machinist and he told me my motor should be running some where around 325-350 horsepower when done. What kind of fuel delivery setup's do some of you have? What do you recommend for a fuel pump (for carbureted) thats reliable and quite? I figured I would use the stock fuel line, but if it starves the engine of any fuel then I will go to something better.

Hey corZette

I was reading a mag a while back on the ZZ5 (will try to find it) and I think they went with the "HOT CAM" and made 434 hp. on that very same ZZ5.

I think that is a great crate with lots of posability.

go down to SDPC and talk with there techs

they are very helpfull.

just tell them what you want and they can custom build it.

they do full port jobs ect. Have a dyno room for testing and have built lots of crates (mild to wild)

as far as your email on jetting I setteled on 72's squared but this is something that you your self will have to tune. get the jet kit and lots of sparkplugs.

then go make a wide open run and check a plug

jet up or down and try again till you get it where you like it.

its a pain in the a$$ but worked for me.

Stan

------------------

" THE MONEY PIT "

http://scarp.homepage.com

Jamison,

Pop over to the fuel delivery section and you can get a better idea of what some of us are running for fuel.

As for fast times, I refuse to post anything until I have an actual time slip, but Scarps times and MPH are definately in the window that I'm hearing from others... Thats why I want this whole fuel issue sorted...

Speaking of that, some of you guys gave me tips before on lower under hood temps... what is the best way? I regapped the plugs from 32-40 and I might try smaller jets in the carb, what else should I look at? Retarding the timing maybe?

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited May 30, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

thought I'd chime in here, this comes from the garden variety "street" Z

my car (71 240)is a mild build 9.5:1 edelbrock performer setup(600 carb, cam and dual plane intake), some mild head work low compression heads milled 30 with the 2.02 intake valves, 700r4 tranny/tci sat. night special TC aprox. 2000 rpm stall. tires- 225 60 14's, 3.50 ratio R200. Ok as far as getting off the line.. forget about it lol ,it just might be the driver there but, once it hooks up it its smiliin time. My second time to the track I got a 13.528 @104.532 my 60 ft was 2.11 , 1/8 was 8.8 @ 83mph.

I figure I could share a few of my 1/4 mile times. I've taken all three of my V8Z projects to the track, but only have actual timeslips (that I can find) from the most recent project. Enjoy...

Z car No. 1 - The Hulk (Rust in Piece)

'77 280Z

358ci Chevy, OEM ’77 Z28 heads, 8.9:1 compression

Performer Intake, Holley 600 vac.2nds, HEI, single 3inch exhaust, TH350 w/ 2400 stall

Street Tires (205/70/R14)

13.4xx @ 101.xx

1.961 sixty foot

----------------------------------

Z car No. 2 - (Accidentally made into a convertible)

'77 280Z

Performer RPM Intake, Holley 600 vac.2nds, MSD 6AL, single 3inch exhaust, 700R4

Street Tires (215/60/R14)

13.89x @ 101.xx

2.180 sixty foot (lousy OEM converter in trans.)

----------------------------------

Z car No. 3

'74 (early) 260Z

Performer RPM Intake, Holley 650 2pumper, MSD 6AL, single 3inch exhaust, 700R4 w/3000 stall

Street Tires (245/60/R14)

13.091 @ 104.59

1.961 sixty foot

Drag Radials (275/50/R15)

13.051 @ 104.89

1.881 sixty foot

Drag Radials and 125hp N2O

11.822 @ 113.03

1.664 sixty foot

After years of contemplating, I finally broke down and bought a pair of 64cc Performer RPM heads with matching camshaft. The motor is up and running very nicely with the new heads. I need to install new seat belts and get a new jacket before I can take it to the track this weekend. Hopefully, it will get done. If I touch 11.0’s with this setup, I will be happy. If I get kicked off the track for running 10.9’s, I will be VERY happy.

-Andy

Guest Fast Frog

I've got a 383 with DFI engine mgmt system, TPIS LT-1 mini-ram, Edelbrock Performer hds, Crane HR cam, 9.5cr, and a 5 lb. Paxton. Also, a WC T-5 tranny. About 425+ @ 4700 ft. in W. Colo.

I,ve done several stop watch sessions with street tires and starting in second gear and consistantly hit the 12.0-12.2 sec. mark between 116-118mph. This is with some 2nd gear traction problems with much clutch slippage and launching at 3300-3500 rpm. Last winter, I took the car to our local drag & oval race track with a set of mild race slicks, and had a friend of mine, who is an accomplished 1/4 miler with his 69 Comaro, run it. With 6" roll out, "quick" shift from 2nd to 3rd and speed shift for the rest, and 3500 rpm launch, he posted a 11.81 @ 120.19. His comment, besides "great little sleeper" was, "it can do better if you change trannys to a race preped automatic". He said that he could feel tranny and clutch straining and twisting under 450+ lbs of torque on the speed shifts. I was aware of this potential weak link in the drive train from reading an article on the WC T-5 in Car Craft- May 1992. He was at least 1/2 right. I had to replace the clutch 3 wks later-to an IROC clutch. Not a whole lot better. I probably should have gone to a Center Force or Hays. But, I don't race that much 'cept for punks in mustangs!!

You guys have any suggestions on an automatic?? I'm leaning to a beefed up 700R4 for the od aspect. Remember, I'm not into a lot of drag or comp racing.

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited May 28, 2000).]