HybridZ

9 second Turbo L6 Z car

Lockjaw

I have some info on a Z car that is a claimed 9 second car. Here is the quote from them.

The car run 9.63 @147mph. It is street driven and runs the stock computer set up. We have 4 additional injectors for additional fuel.

The car dynoed to the wheels 738 HP at 24 lbs of boost. We are planning on putting on NOS to help keep up with the outlaw class. With

some suspension tweaking and wider slicks we are sure the car can run low 9s. Thanks for writing. And we have never had a problem

splitting the intake manifold. Hopefully Turbo magazine will picture the car in the magazine in the up coming future.

I have some pictures I could email someone if they can put them out there. I don't have a wedsite to put them on. Email me and I will send them to you.

These show the hogged out intake manifold, head, pictures of the engine compartment, etc.

Originally posted by Lockjaw:

The car run 9.63 @147mph. And we have never had a problem splitting the intake manifold .

What's up with that???? :confused:

Everybody knows any boost over 20psi will split that sucker right in half...maybe he doesn't have the NAAAAAAWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSS installed right ;)

Ok, so it looks the part of 700+ hp, but stock computer? Where did you get the info, from them directly or on a website?

I, as many of us, would like to learn much more about this one. Of course I recognize that is why you are posting about it. And you are right, that is a seriously hogged out intake.

-Bob

ok, edit- I see that in their response you wrote them. I assume they are running a solid axle of some kind to keep running at those times/speeds. Yea, a lot of unknowns there that would be good to find out, like turbo size, CAM PROFILE(big one). only 24 psi and NO NOS for the RWHP rating they told you.

I have a lot of questions for them myself. My opinion on the turbo based upon the look of the compressor wheel is that it is a T series type wheel of some sort.

I don't know how you could suck 700 rwhp worth of air thru the stock AFM either. Unless they have figured out how to disconnect the rev limiter, they would be pretty much stuck at about 6500 rpms, so they could not have that radical of a cam.

I found the guy on Zcar.com advertising in the items for sale section.

I could send them a book full of questions, and if I could see the car in person, perhaps that would help.

Originally posted by Lockjaw:

I have a lot of questions for them myself. My opinion on the turbo based upon the look of the compressor wheel is that it is a T series type wheel of some sort.

I hate to sound skeptical, but that does not look like a T-series to me. The compressor housings for the T-series are much bigger than that. I'm not able to see the last two pics, but I'm pretty sure that I see an internal wastegate actuator on the turbine housing in the fourth picture.

Now, I know that I don't know everything, and there is probably more to be had, but I am having serious trouble believing that I have somehow left ~300hp on the table...

That sounds like an awful lot of HP for just 24psi of boost. Seems that the redline would have to move up past 7000 rpm to get that kind of power out of a L28, and a god-awful amount of porting and camshaft work. Seems like JeffP has done much the same, and he's still putting just 400+ ( just 400hp bonk.gif:rolleyes: )to the ground.

I mean really...seriously...can a L series block even deal with 700hp????

Maybe I'm not doubting the power so much as the power with only 24psi...Isn't Scotty GNZ running more than that, maybe 27 psi with a MUCH bigger motor, and putting down around 500-600hp??

I have lots of questions myself. TimZ, I am sure the cars pictured and the turbo are not the ones on the 9 second car. I think those were just pictues showing thier work, and the products they have available.

I would like to see the thing in turbo mag so I could get a better look at the car itself.

My memory is a little vague on this one, but I think I remember either John Shepard (or was it one of the Extreme guys) putting down over 700hp in a 2.0L DSM running about the same amount of boost...if a 2.0L DSM could do it, I don't see why a 2.8L L28ET couldn't do it IF the compression ratio and there was some serious head work, of course, it could be stroked, too...

Of course...the L series cylinder head isn't exactly on the leading edge of technology, so it'd be pretty tough to coax that much hp out of one...

There are big differences in a 2.0l DSM and a 2.8l L28et. We have both in the family. The 2.8 is far superior off boost and has better low end. The L28 will not rev like the 2.0l, the cam just won't let it, and it would be the first to break a crank.

On a full out modified race motor there are other hidden factors that limit a motor. Crank resonace limits the rpm and sometimes limits horspower.Main bearing and cap distortion limit how much power will be made before destruction Combustion chamber design is a big factor on a turbo car. The new heads can take way more boost before preigntion happens. The 2.0l DSM is a 4v head and is more effecient. How the head is bolted on limits the amount of boost that can be run.

Size isn't everything you have to know how to use it too :D:D