HybridZ

SR20DET!!!!

Guest ON3GO

Just so that nobody is confused on my stand in this position...

I agree that The Rb25DET/Rb26DET,Rb30, etc...is a great swap into a Z (or any car for that matter). I'm not too familiar with the Rb20, but with a 215hp rating I don't *personally* think it would be worth the expense over an SR20DET, *unless* it had more torque than an SR20DET across the entire rpm range.

I'm also curious as to where the displacement is being *lost* in the Rb20? Is it a very small bore, or is it a short stroke? A combination of both? If the SR20DET (which I know little about, other than I've seen a ton of fast Sentras with them) produces similiar power levels, then I can certainly see the advantage of running this engine over the RB20DET due to it's shorter length and possibly lighter weight (which would increase handling)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to chime in, as I have the exact same dillema. In fact, I've brought this up already, and you guys can check out my thread on sr20det vs. lt1 swap from a few months ago:

http://www.hybridz.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002324&p=

Basically it breaks down as such so we don't have to argue:

sr20det pros:

-lighter weight

-better weight distribution

-good track motor

-can handle lot of boost on stock bottom end, overengineered, and stock boost can be doubled without any sideeffects

-most parts interchangeable between sr20de motor found in sentra se-r and infini g20

sr20det cons:

-might have to change front springs due to not enough weight pushing them down

-turbo lag due to small displacement

rb25det pros:

-can handle gobs of power in stock form

-almost a direct bolt in with z31 mounts and some fabbing

-retaining little better than stock weight distribution (slightly lighter)

-cheap to buy (i found the motor, tranny, ecu, wiring harness for 2,500)

rb25det cons:

-where does one go for parts? and how much will they cost? expect to have a new one torn on pricing

rb26dett pros:

-do we really need to list the pros? we all know what they are smile.gif

rb26dett cons:

-you can't buy a whole rb26dett assembly - gotta play mix-match with rb25 tranny, rb25/rb20/rb30 oilpan for clearance

-again, cost of replacement parts and their availability if anything happens.

Back onto the soapbox - in defense of the sr20det motor, it's a great motor. It's light, it's smaller, leaving more room in the engine bay so placement of the intercooler and piping can be more liberal. It will also give about 45/55 weight distribution which is desirable to some who prefer closer to mid-engine feel in an FR layout car.

As far as the argument goes of putting a smaller displacement motor int he Z than the original - bs. the stock j-spec silvias come with sr20dets stock, and those cars have at least 300-400lbs on a 240z. A subaru impreza wrx weighing in at some 3100lbs is powered by a flat 4 turbo motor, which is also limited by the fact that there are THREE catalytic converters on the block, and it's awd. Same goes for the DSMs - 2 liter turbo motor. In short, if a motor is built to handle boost from factory, it can handle, and probably a lot more than the factory settings are set to because the manufacturer doesn't want to be held liable for any internal breakdowns.

Not everyone is building their Z to be a 1/4 mile racer - if I have turbo lag, it doesn't bother me because I'm not dragracing the car. When I'm on the track, the turbo lag is non-existant because the motor is always over 4000rpm, keeping the turbo pumping more and more.

ok, off the soapbox. personally, i'm really leaning into the rb25det swap - it seems like the best idea so far.

Originally posted by awd92gsx:

Ok...so maybe 1900 was a little light, but, even at 2100lbs it is still 1100 lbs. lighter than a Viper (which was posted as having a 3300lb curb weight).

Actually, you don't need to run megaboost to get power. I remember seeing a 700hp 4G63 that was running only 19psi. I also remember seeing a 9 second DSM using a 4G64 bottom end that never shifted above 7k rpm... (check out magnusmotorsports.com for a little more info...although, he wasn't the originator like his site says...but, we won't go there...)

19psi with 700HP with what trim turbo? That's got to be a pretty laggy turbo. I've heard 60 trim with stage V on DSM and they were not boosting til above 4000rpm. That was only 10sec car.

man whens bobs grumpy, hes grumpy. oh well.

i was talking about swapped sr20dets with minimal mods except turning up the boost on stock jdm setup, i have nothing to go on besides that, and both cars we did buzzed pretty good. what i am saying is this, my v8 car had 250hp and 300lbs, at best, and it punked the silvia but a lot, when it was running 10psi which is close to my hp levels and torque would be upper 200s, but at a higher rpm. he would have to launch well at 2500-3k to stay with me just dumping the clutch off the line in idle with the v8z. with my turbo L28 car, i have about the same levels of hp and tork as the silvia motor, maybe heavier in the nose whatever, but at 10psi im roughly where the silvia is at, but the power comes on really low (due to my baby t3) and i am confident i would walk good on the silvia, but not all out anhialate it like big red would have. hey im not trying to upset anyone, im just doing what anyone here is doing, and relating things to my experiences and my point of view. im not autoxxing, drag racing, none of that, im a car enthusiast that likes tuning and building funny daily driving cars that will go to the track and have a ball, and drive home and get a slurpee :D .

Guest Anonymous

Gee, I am sure glad I am ignorant on these Dee abs eet and 20RBDEto 5 s 30.06 motors since it causes a lot of bruised feelings.It is only metal Fellows! SBC 350. Almost killed myself today pulling a 350 out of an old Monte Carlo. Real heavy box of metal.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

why do people keep saying the sr20det is meant for a small car?? the zed IS a small car!

the s13 180sx weighs like 1250kg .. and thats about the lightest car you can find the engine in!

an sr20det zed would be awesome, and would help a bit with the zeds front heavy weight distrobution.. mounting one of these really close to the firewall would make for some awesome handling characteristics..

I've got an rb20det in my zed, its an awesome engine - but the sr20det is a better engine (and a lot more expensive - here anyways)

the later model sr20det (from a s15 200sx) is an extremely modern and powerful engine - pretty sure it has variable valve timing as well (i think its either the black or silver top?)

*shrugs*

either way - cant go too far wrong with either engine

but dont underestimate the sr20det - do a search on the net for modified s15 200sx or something and you'll see the sort of power these babies can pull out with only simple mods (intake, exhaust, chip)

you really cant go wrong with either one, 19psi in any car make me like it theres no doubt about that, i dont run the four cylinders in anything heavier than 2000 lbs with me in it, and im 6 foot 2 and weigh 225-unless its in a 510 station wagon, only exception.

I missed this thread altogether. I do some fabrication work for a shop that does LOTS of SR20DET conversions. Mostly Sentras though. If anyone wants to do the SR20DET, get the Pulsar GTi-R motor. Man this thing is awezome. It has individual throttle bodies, and full floating wrist pins, plus a few other things not included with other SR20's.

Me personally? I am going to either pull the LT1 from my Z28, or do a RB26DETT, or a 2JZ. But, I'm an overkill kinda guy. My LT1 will get a forged bottom end and low compression pistons and TWINS. If I do either 6 cyl. engine, they will get major mods as well. I want 800hp anyway I look at it.

Guest Anonymous

the GTiR sr20det is awesome.. but is for awd only.. would be a bugger to put in!

i think there is a very rare rwd GTiR but the sr20det isnt quite as feature packed.. so might as well go with an s15 SR20det.. which is damn powerful anyways!

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

hi.. SR20DET would be a great choice. I had a rps13 ka25de-t until that blew up and swapped it with a sr20det. SR20 is know for great torque too.

Its true more aftermarket are available for SR20`s

here on the states. RB`s is more difficult aftermarket parts to get & more expensive..I knew person had a rb20det 91 rps13 making 390?whp which most parts were custom. There are even S15 rivaling against high powered GTRs giving them trouble at the track.

S15 motor is no diff except for the vtc (which is crap, sometimes remove) and a larger turbo.You should go for the red top. Go for a t3/t4 or T55 good for 400-500 and pushing beyond 400hp SR20 block need resleeved. Stoke it to a 2.2 which JUN has available. Speaking of JUN there was a silvia running high 8's @ 700hp http://www.junauto.co.jp/democar/drag-silvia/index.html?en

so a 500hp SR20 plus light chassis of the 240z im predicting high 10's 1/4 rockon.gif would be one great Z! Im planning to get a 240z but also deciding on the new 350z..But I might end up with a G35 coupe. As my new drifter car. This is a great site

I just wanted to throw up an idea here. I'm not sure about the weight or modifications needed, but what about an ECOTEC 2.4L (I think that is the displacement) 4 cyl out Cavaliers. They are making huge amounts of power down the strip and still holding up. Maybe a little help with this one. I haven't done all the research on it. Just throwin' and idea out there.

Originally posted by Arch MY260:

why do people keep saying the sr20det is meant for a small car?? the zed IS a small car!

the s13 180sx weighs like 1250kg .. and thats about the lightest car you can find the engine in!

an sr20det zed would be awesome, and would help a bit with the zeds front heavy weight distrobution.. mounting one of these really close to the firewall would make for some awesome handling characteristics..

I've got an rb20det in my zed, its an awesome engine - but the sr20det is a better engine (and a lot more expensive - here anyways)

the later model sr20det (from a s15 200sx) is an extremely modern and powerful engine - pretty sure it has variable valve timing as well (i think its either the black or silver top?)

*shrugs*

either way - cant go too far wrong with either engine

but dont underestimate the sr20det - do a search on the net for modified s15 200sx or something and you'll see the sort of power these babies can pull out with only simple mods (intake, exhaust, chip)

I'll tell you why. The Zed has a huge engine bay, fits V8s and straight 6s with ease. And the weight distribution on a stock Z is damn near 50/50, so minor handling improvements with lower weight futher back can be made, but stock is hard to improve on!

And someone else mentioned resleeving an SR20 at the 400hp level - good grief, there are so many stock block options that can take you well beyond that mark. I'm not knocking the swap, although it may seem like it, but there are many easier and cheaper swaps out there that can deliver reliable power.

i just think its not that good of an option, coming from the American perspective of motor availability, i mean, man the rb motor should have come overseas with the z31, theres no doubt it would be just about the only swap i would be into right now if it did. sr20det should have come here early, its really a shame that everywhere else in the world these motors are a commonality and swapping them just takes time, not overseas hookups and international relations just to get peak power out of a jspec motor. its really sad i think, im not gonna knock the sr20det swap anymore, i think its a powerhouse, but fromt he US standpoint, its just not worth it to me because of parts availability,

true enough, where there is a will there is a way, and if you want to do something, i believe nothing can stop you, but you do have to take into account the what ifs. i mean, you build these fantastic cars to drive em like a maniac right? I gotta agree with sleeperz, theres a million other options that are either just as good or better than the sr20det, but that motor is simply amazing.

Guest Carrman

I've been following this thread and I only want to make 2 points. First, the SR20DET does not share many things with the SR20DE we have in the states. Water pumps, distributor caps, and other items are Japan only, I have a friend who imports these things from Japan, and he knows all the in's and out's of those motors. Second, Nissan must have a good reason to power the Skyline with the RB series, and not the SR series engines. Don't get me wrong, I think both engines are great, but that the RB are just a bit greater. Opinions may vary, and this is just my opinion.

• 5 years later...

dose any one have engine & ecu wiring out of a 98 s14 with sr20de engine rear wheel drive Manuel

Have just fitted it to a ke20 72 corolla and need sun help

Thanks