Joe0690 Posted September 22 Share Posted September 22 Hi, hopefully this is the right spot to post this question. i have a 71 240z that I am restomoding. I also have a close to 600hp ls3 dry sump engine . if anyone has experience with that much hp in the 240z, what would you recommend to stop it from twisting? I have a full roll historic roll cage. Front and rear strut braces. what else should I look to do? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
flatout Posted September 23 Share Posted September 23 I did full length frame rails, stitched the front towers, and a pretty involved cage in my 280. I know the 240s are a bit more known for issues but i think similar would be sufficient. Some guys add the inner fender braces, I didn't but they seem popular. Is your front strut tower brace triangulated or just straight across? Triangulated off the firewall would add a bit more structure. What is the design of your cage? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Joe0690 Posted Wednesday at 10:22 PM Author Share Posted Wednesday at 10:22 PM Hi It’s 8 point roll custom roll cage for 240z. I got it from the uk. the front strut is the apex engineered triangulated one the goes to the firewall. Do you think stick welding it is needed? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tube80z Posted Thursday at 12:25 AM Share Posted Thursday at 12:25 AM @Joe0690 you don't mention if this is a race car or a street car. I'm guessing since you're talking about a 8-point cage this is more race car or dual purpose with a heavy emphasis on the track part. A friend had a 550 HP LS-2 powered 240 that we made a lot of changes to to stiffen. The normal cage will need some additions to really help make the car stiffer. Frame rails that everyone adds are fine for street cars but are not going to give you much in the way of gains compared to adding additional tubing to the base cage. The triangulated strut bar needs to connect to an additional cross bar that hooks into your cage and is sandwiched under the wiper cowl are where all the metal comes together. This can then be plug welded through the firewall and is triangulated into the existing cage's cross bar. The next big change would be to add X bracing on the floor between the roll hoop and front cage legs. The floor of a 240 is very week compared to a modern car. This weighs about the same the frame rail mods but will add more in stiffness. There are a number of other areas you can add if you need more stiffness. In the stickies there are some examples of how most of these were done on various members cars. Cary 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Joe0690 Posted Thursday at 07:59 PM Author Share Posted Thursday at 07:59 PM Thanks, to answer your question when orignally starting this resto mod build . It was more for car that could potentially track look very good but I wasn’t necessarily planning on tracking it . More to show at car shows . but I think I let everything get away from me because as I started getting into it and buying things I would talk myself up into the better / cooler (to me) options . i really want to make sure the car is reliable and doesn’t break making the whole build a waste. but since I’ve been upgrading it I’m starting to think maybe I should track it as a little side hobby (lessons and what not) since I’m building it I should use it that way. but I’m new to this so if my posts sound stupid I apologize. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Michael Posted Friday at 06:11 AM Share Posted Friday at 06:11 AM In bygone days, the cognoscenti would note, that suspension loads passed through the chassis are much higher than loads associated with engine torque. Thus, chasing stiffness is more of a concern for precision cornering than for surviving high power/torque. Cary has an excellent synopsis above. I would add the possibility of a "Herb Adams bar" (his book, "Chassis Engineering", details it), which is a sort of spine, that is parallel to the transmission tunnel but sits above it. It connects to the dash bar and to the harness bar behind the seats. Each of these connections is triangulated... in the rear, to the rear strut towers. In the front, through the firewall to the front strut towers. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
flatout Posted Friday at 11:25 AM Share Posted Friday at 11:25 AM having just completed my first HPDE track day in my Z a couple weeks ago. I 10000% recommend at least trying one. Local clubs vary but cost to seat time to fun ratio is quite high. you dont need to have a track weapon. you don't need to be a professional driver. you just need to have fun. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.