HybridZ

Need Help Removing a Seized Bolt

BayAreaZT

• 1 month later...

I agree with Mike C. And apply as little shock force to the overall header as possible. Personally, I would cut a gap in the nut with a torch then separate the the remainder of the nut away from its bolt with a chisel, either hand or impact. DAW

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I have always found that helps is to spray it with something like wad40 or pbblaster or what ever and then tap the bolt several times with a hammer or some other metal object. The idea is to get the penetrant into the threads as deep as possible. Vibration helps.

You could also buy a bolt splitter and split the bolt so you could get the header off, and then work on the bolt, or take the head off and take it to a machine shop.

I had a turbo bolt that seized like that, and it took me the better part of half an hour to get it out. I sprayed it with penetrating oil and tapped it, and then backed it out as far as it would go, sprayed it a tapped it and screwed it back in, and repeated that proceedure over and over until I got the bolt out.

Whatever you do, when you put it back together, a little anti seize on the threads goes a long way towards preventing this from happening.

If you heat the thing up, be careful it is not to hot when you try to remove it or you will break off the bolt/stud.

Good luck with it. I hate those stuck bolts.

Red hot is good. Get all of your sockets and extensions, etc., set up beforehand so that you can go for it right away once it's hot. If you're going to reassemble it try to find 8mm brass high nuts to use as these aren't prone to seizing. DAW