HybridZ

Fuel cell options to have external filling...??

Bob_H

Ok, did a rather exhaustive search of the archives and turned up nothing.

I need to upgrade either my fuel tank or put in a fuel cell. However, I am unwilling to deal with filling the tank by opening the rear hatch. So what I am soliciting is current solutions to filling a fuel cell,(my prefered solution), from the outside. Obviously the original side filler would be perfect, but I am willing to adapt the older GM style behind the licence plate.

Any pics of how-to's are appreicated.

-Bob

I have seen his solution and that is way above what I want to do. I am interested in simpler fabrications, if any fabrication at all. I will also be putting the battery back in that area. I am not worried about

Unless someone knows of a solution that keeps the original filler neck location, I am heavily leaning towards the GM style behind the licence plate setup. I am sure I can pick up a cheap setup from a salvage yard. Any thoughts on who to go to for a fuel cell? This will be used for road racing,(so no drag racing setup), and with Fuel injection.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, I took a somewhat more complicated approach to filling the cell. I put a door into the hatch, over the cell. Under the door is a tube and cap to seal the cell. The link below will have a lot of photos of how I did this (fuel filler album). It is probably more complicated than you may want to do, but it may give you some ideas for the door at the license plate area.

I moved the stock tank to the center, made new straps to hold it, added a sump for my fuel injection, and are using the stock filler location. To extend the filler to the tank, I used a 90 degree exhaust elbow and a short piece of 2 1/4" gas hose to connect to the tank. I also welded all but one vent holes, and eliminated the expansion tank in the car. The one vent hole has a gas hose from it to the side of the filler neck where the expansion tank attached. I then drilled two small holes in the gas cap. Everthing works very well!

As Tim says, I think there is a problem with the angle of the tubing...but now I'm starting to wonder, the gas is flowing pretty fast (don't know what pressure) but maybe a setup like that picture Phil posted is just fine, moved to behind the lic. plate or wherever?

Tim, your cell is shorter than mine, you shouldn't have any problems with doing a setup like this?

Owen