HybridZ

280zxt in 240-??possible to use stock 6mm fuel lines??

Guest 240hybrid

Guest 240hybrid

Is it possible to run a stock 6mm fuel line when running a 280zxt in a 73 240, using T3/T4E thats putting out 325-350 WHP???? I was told this is plausible. I think I need to go with 3/8 stainless steel line for the supply AND return if not possible to run stock. I dont want the motor to lean out from not upgrading bonk.gif my fuel lines.

3/8" 0r -6 is enough for anything a L28t will ever need. Replace the factory return line with some aluminum 3/8" from Summit or Jegs,ect and use that as your feed and your old feed as your return as it's a tad smaller. I haven't seen stainless available. I used aluminum and haven't had any problems.

Guest 240hybrid

yeah you'd think 1/2 would do good, but I've been told run too large a line and sacrefice fuel pressure. clifton your idea sounds like a possiblity....would the old 6mm supply line be big enough to take over as a return for 280zxt though?

"would the old 6mm supply line be big enough to take over as a return for 280zxt though?"

It depends on the pump you're using. I was using a Paxton Kamikaze and the regulator was the restriction, not the return line. I check pressure and volume with, and with out the return line hooked up, The only drawback was high (50 psi) pressure at idle, with retuen going into fuel jug(no restriction). If I revved it it would drop to were it should be (36-40). So I'm trying to say the factory regulator will be more of a restriction than using the feed line as a return line. You can always run 2 3/8" lines. There is enough in one roll, I just chose not to run 2.

I would run a new 1/2" line (or -8) for the feed and use the original Datsun feed for the return. This is what I am using and working fine with 480+rwhp. One of the best and easiest ways to do this is to use the Push-Lok type hoses (Parker is one brand) with the appropriate fittings.

Guest 240hybrid

Are you running a 280zxt with that amount of power or V8. If turbo what boost are you running, and is it streetable? So from the sounds of it I need to upgrade the supply line to 3/8 or more and run the original supply as the return. I've talked to a guy at Georgia Z club thats knows where to get stainless steel 3/8, maybe he'll fill me in on were to get stainless steel lines with a bending tool. At least now I only have to fabricate on line and just swap hoses on other, :cool: thought I'd be doing both...saves some time and work.

Originally posted by 240hybrid:

yeah you'd think 1/2 would do good, but I've been told run too large a line and sacrefice fuel pressure. clifton your idea sounds like a possiblity....would the old 6mm supply line be big enough to take over as a return for 280zxt though?

I don't think too large of a line would affect anything at all. If you have no line restriction with a certain size, going bigger won't do any good, but it will have no effect on pressure.

As far as turbo vs. V8, if you are fuel injected (read high fuel pressure), you get more flow through a smaller line than a V8 (carbureted) just because of a higher regulated fuel pressure. If your pump has the overhead, it can deliver whatever flow you need through the 5/16" lines, but if you want to run reasonable pump pressures (pressure at the pump outlet, not fuel rail & regulated pressure), a 3/8" should be enough for 400-450 hp.

Are you running a 280zxt with that amount of power or V8. If turbo what boost are you running, and is it streetable?
If the question was directed at me, No, I run a Buick V-6 turbo with about 25+ psi boost at the track with race gas. On the street it is a pussycat and gets 26mpg on the highway.

The reason why I recommended the Push-Lok hose is to avoid the hassles of bending/kinking steel hoses.

Originally posted by SleeperZ:

quote:

Originally posted by 240hybrid:

I don't think too large of a line would affect anything at all. If you have no line restriction with a certain size, going bigger won't do any good, but it will have no effect on pressure.

True, the larger lines affect volume, but not negatively of course (in this case).

Guest 240hybrid

Push lok huh, I'll look into that. I see what your saying sleeperz, if i run with a pressure reg. than it wont do as much good to run new line but just the hassle of running it. I'm thinking of running the reg. off a 75 280 that came with the tank I pulled out of my old 280 I parted out. Is there any downfalls to running a regulator out of this year 280 or any year/type of regulator??? I appreciate all the input on this topic. 2thumbs.gif