HybridZ

13B turbo in a 240z?

auxilary

Guest Zachb55

I have a good friend who is rotary crazy, and ill have to admit its a way-cool engine, sortof an odd concept to understand, but hey it works and its powerful so why question it right? i would really like to do either a 3 rotor or a 2JZ swap. Ill just have to see which one is more done and has more info on it when it comes time to do it. At this point i think theres alot more support for a rotary then a 2JZ... well i say go for it, and if you could test fit one and maybe find out about even just whiping up some drawings of what the mounts would have to look like that would be really awesome.

-Zach

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

May as well throw in my .02. Horsepower is horspower but I would never use a Zcar body with such a low amount of mass in the engine compartment. These car's need to transfer and a Wankel doesn't move its mass like a SBC, or a VG30 or a L28. Use the 13B on a short wheel base car that ways nothing. I like a 82 Toyota Starlet. But be carfull they come around after 8.0's.

Alex C

The RX7's wheel base isn't very different from the Z, as far as I can tell. I can take measurements with my friend's GTUs and compare it to my Z. I'm definitely planning on dropping the spring rates in the front to comply with the lack of weight. I'm running 200lb/in in the front, but will likely switch to 150

I have a friend here in Okinawa that bought a spirit R. Runs 14 flat stock. 280 HP from the crank. A computer chip upgrade, porting and bigger turbo and hes in the 400 range. He has 438 rear gears. Im gonna benchmark from him then go tear up up some locals after he races them...My Z should be in the high 11's low 12's I suspect. 450HP build....gonna be fun... :-D

Yeah Stony, I know. Thats what happens when they spend all of thier girlfriends money to support thier habits...lol. If I had the time and money, there wouldnt ever be a problem. Its all about money I guess. The big difference is that I can still rotate to the states and those poor bastards are stuck here for life! :D Hell they are paying over $3000 for a fricken crank...lol. I can get a 12 sec Z for that. Hope all is well in Alaska!

CorZette :wink:

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Wouldn't that be hard to do, i realise the amount of engine room you had, but would alot of custom fabricating have to be done, like drivetrain, motormounts, ecu/harness?

it's on hold right now for several reasons:

1. after doing careful inspection, that motor is mostly toast. rotors and ONE (out of 5) housings are good. It would cost too much to rebuild the motor now, so I'm opting at buying a 13b-re twin turbo cosmo motor, and swapping that 5 speed from the bad motor to the newone (since it only came in auto).

2. not sure about facility where the swap is going to occur. I live in an apt. and borrow my parents' garage to work on my Z. They're not entirely happy with my car hogging up the garage several months. I think I can use it, but I'd rather find a place with my own garage first

3. I found some unwanted rust in very unwanted places, and I'll have to fix that before anything else happens.

Actually, i'm going to check out the motor today, most likely. It's rated at 230hp stock, has smaller turbos than the fd rx7, but bigger ports. Basically, a factory street port

Aux,

Maybe a few of you NorCal guys can get together and rent out a small warehouse. If you go a bit further out of town, you should be able to find something fairly cheap. Just check on the security if you plan to leave tools etc there.

Tim

Guest ON3GO

hey auxilary.

The cosmo motor is a 20B twin turbo that only came in auto.

i never thought the cosmo came with a 13b also....

also the 20b is a hella amount of money...

alot strong, and more powerful... even though the stock turbos are way to small.

good luck with your car.

love rotarys....

Mike

Guest livewire23

If I wasn't moving out of town I'd be down with renting a warehouse. It'd have to be halfway to nowhere from here to be anywhere near affordable.

• 2 years later...

wow this thread is from almost 3 years ago

I'm assuming the swap never happened, but I would definetly love to see a rotory in a z.

"May as well throw in my .02. Horsepower is horspower but I would never use a Zcar body with such a low amount of mass in the engine compartment. These car's need to transfer and a Wankel doesn't move its mass like a SBC, or a VG30 or a L28. Use the 13B on a short wheel base car that ways nothing. I like a 82 Toyota Starlet. But be carfull they come around after 8.0's."

about this quote, rx7's have a pretty long wheelbase as well. in fact the longer wheelbase would make it a true midship car which would probably greatly improve handling and balance

But I was looking at this considering

A. My l28e is probally gone

b. Theres a junkayrd that has 9 or 10 rx7

c. I can laught at people who dont have a rotary

I'd email or PM Aux if he hasn't seen this in a few days. I doubt he would recommend this swap to anyone contemplating it. He's still working on it AFAIK, but not every weekend.

I wish him well.

Davy

I read an article a few years back that detailed a yellow Tri-Point Engineering RX-7, tri rotor, tri-turbo. 555BHP! IIRC They tested it at bonneville salt flats, got to something like 185 MPH, and started to lift the front end off the deck! The aerodynamics of the hood acted like a wing! They ended up having something like 215 lbs of ballast in order to keep the wheels on the ground!

I do hope an update is forthcoming!