HybridZ

The state of CA trying to screw us again

Dragonfly

Guest livewire23

Sales of regular have increased in recent years as prices have risen. The agency estimates that manufacturers recommend premium grades for 15 percent to 25 percent of cars in the state.

----------------------------------------------------------

That can't be true, because even my prelude says "use premium unleaded only" on the dash. so if a honda prelude says that, I can just imagine how many porches, WRXs, Zs, anf ferrari-type vehicles say that.

There is a whole lot of BS in that article but I think if you read between the lines this is what the California government is trying to say "if its not a solar powered golf cart we don't want it on our roads" and "we will do whatever is neccesary to make sure it is impossible for you to operate an internal combustion vehicle in our state."

Of course that is my blurry view between the lines other people may see something else between those lines.

Dragonfly

Guest livewire23

Well that plain sucks. If they care so much, why don't they sponsor BMW's 740iH hydrogen car. That car is wicked. It may be nice to the environment, but its not a hog. I think maybe I'll study the development of high-speed non-"internal combustion" vehicles. solar cars still suck though. Unless I can make one with a 0-60 of under 6 seconds.

Livewire:

0-60 in under 6 seconds in a solar car? I think that may be possible.... if it is falling off a cliff.... OR being pushed by a Z.. :-)

If they did do away with the 89 and 91 octane gas... you could be sure that gas prices would not drop a single cent.

I think that a hybrid electric setup that ran a small internal cumbustion engine (on alcohol, forced induction for maximum fuel efficiency) as the generator could make for a great vehicle. Then run the smallest 400+ HP electric motor you could find in it...

That would be a fun little car...

Guest livewire23

never say never to an AE. But I doubt that I'll try to make a solar car. they don't seem to have much potential. I know for sure that I'm going to make a formula car when I get to college. I've already talked to several teams. Maybe we could get one running on a turbo hayabusa engine :D

Guest livewire23

see, that's a bunch of racers making econo-vehicles. All that's required to make the right enviro-cars is some AutoXers at the helm. They Autocrossed their little elctric car, and dragged it to a 12 second finish. these people are incredible. that's what I'm gonna do when I grow up, and mine is actually gonna look cool. :lol:

I especially like how in the autoX video, the very next car to run was on two wheels right around the first corner. :shock: That car damn near rolled over, while the little toy car barely budged.

I'm glad Hamilton is enough of a crack-pot to not be taken overly seriously when he starts jumping up and down on his soap box. What scares me more about him than anything else is that he puts all kinds of bizzare ideas out knowing that sooner or later some bone head who wants to make a political name for themselves will try to make it happen.

Dragonfly

hahha that guy is such an idiot, and that article is full of crap. I would love to see how many sport bike riders will get pissed off at this if it ever makes it to the table. I know my bike started running like crap when the gas was downgraded from 92 to 91. I was running 12.5:1 CR, and that's stock. My neon r/t requires 91 due to the spark advance from the mopar ECU. All BMW m3s require 91. so do m5s. and this is california, the land of bmws :)

Guest livewire23

oh yea, I see an M3 a day around here.and god knows how many drivers around here are running some kind of advanced timing or HC engines. The whole idea is ridiculous. When I was in IA I was sitting around joking with the formula car team about how practically anything was smog-legal in IA. But then again, they dont have the same kind of polution problems that we did.

I don't know if you guys no about the Honda dual-note. There have been rumors that it may be used as the third-gen NSX. Well, it uses a 300HP V6 in the rear, and a 100HP electric up front. Basically, it amounts to a high performance hybrid that gets 40+ mpg. I bet they could reduce the compression a little, and the timing to use crappier gas. That's down the road though.