HybridZ

turbo on a 2.4

evildky

ok so here is a question, I have a 71 240z runs great, but I want major power, was wondering if I could take the turbo intake exhaust and computer and put it onto my 240 engine, my logic is that the higher compression ratio with the turbo and injection should make some nice numbers although on an old motor, I am sure life would not be terribly long but should be fun till then, will the turbo gear bolt up to the e31 head ? am I nuts ? has it been done ? how much power to expect ?

Your logic is wrong, you don't need high comp on a turbo motor. The turbo makes up for it with boost. E31,E88's don't have the threaded holes to bolt up a EFI manifold or the notches for the injectors. You are much better off with a stock turbo long block. The top ring land on the turbo piston is much thicker and alot more forgiving than any other Datsun/ Nissan piston. You can swap an EFI head on your L24 block but you'll still have N/A flat top piston. This will limit your boost and be carefull with detonation. The turbo (B) cams have less lift on the intake, the (A) cams are the same in.t and ex.

Doesn't seem to me it's nay-saying. Rather more practical options I think....

It's so much cheaper/easier to drop in a fuel injected L28ET.

Of course L24s have been turbocharged, but the FI is so much easier to manage and tune, and all the FI components came from the later model engines.

You can do anything, but it doesn't always mean its the safest or wisest. When you can get the whole engine, why try to economize by doing things half way? You will also be limited in horsepower and again safety in terms of engine duty.

his is f/i and he is running an sds

:D Ok, you got me there. I missed that SDS info - it sounded like stock EFI to me. The E31 head will need a mod to accomodate the Nissan FI, which is what it sounded like what he wants to do. Otherwise the stuff will bolt on. But high compression isn't the best option for turbo, especially if it has a hot N/A cam. The turbo pistons are stronger, the full story is hidden in the search functions, yada, yada, yada.

ok so the manifolds will not bolt up, that was the main question, my logic was that a higher compression motor upder same boost wil make more power, I think it was GRM or maybe sport z that featured a green 240z with a draw through carb set up on a 2.4 making somewhere over 400hp, the problem is I have always delt with injection and understand it better than carbs, less tuning and more running, these su's just defy everything I know about carbs which isn't much

Since you can turn up the boost, it depends on what kind of car setup you want. WIth more compression you have to keep the boost down, and you can make more torque, with less top end. With lower compression you can make more top end with more boost, but lose a little torque, since stock these cars make peak torque at 2800 vs a hot NA car making it at 4400 or something very high, I hardly see the need to raise compression, or the desire, especially on street gas.

ok so the manifolds will not bolt up, that was the main question, my logic was that a higher compression motor upder same boost wil make more power

The exhaust manifold will bolt up, it's the intake that's the problem. More compression will make more power if the timing is the same on baoth motors, to a point. Then the high CR motor will not tolerate any more boost were the low CR motor can take quit a bit more with out the risk of knock. I guess if you are looking for a low boost set up you'll be ok, but it's definatly not the ideal setup.

Guest bang847

I guess you should at least swap to a F/I head...

from what i have read here the newer ZX blocks have a better cooling system..

this is probably evident in the turbo heads having more cooling passages than the old e31

Tony240ZT has a L24ET setup...

And if you want strange stuff Tony I believe also has a 7mgt setup..

I'm just an odd ball :wink:

Let me know if you have any questions, just drove the strange car back from a place out in the middle of no where 20 miles away from home where I broke the auto tranny. Took the new tranny out to the car and did it on the side of the road, not exactly fun. Seems like I didn't forget too many bolts since I'm here now.