HybridZ

Custom Hoods - what looks awesome on Z's?

260ZRED

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always felt form followed function. Make it functional, and the "look" will be good (for the most part). Decide what you want to do mechanically or functionally, and then design the hood around that. Once you get away from that, it's anybody's guess as to what "looks good".

Terry's got the baddest hood, hands down. However, you can't buy it and it's not exactly a direct bolt on. I've always liked the SubtleZ hood. A tastefull exaggeration of the stock power bulge. I believe BLK MGC has some nice pics of the one on his car.

I basicly want some vents to cool the car better when it idles. (Houston traffic!) Terry- Did you notice a huge difference in the cooling after doing that large vent? (totally awesome by the way)

Where would be the most effective areas of making smaller cut outs? I'm planning on buying another hood from a junkyard so i wont have any messups with mine. Also, having air scoops would be awesome, but I'm gonna take it one step at a time.... :D

I have the fiberglass cowl induction hood from JC Whitney. It looks awesome! I can not tell you about the cooling differences yet because it doesn't run right now.

Nullbound has the same hood so you can see it on a finished product. He can probably also give you an idea as to how well it ventalates.

Guest Jac127

I had some carbon fiber hoods made for the zcar 70-78 if your interested. It took me awhile to get it going but i have plenty of them now. They use all the stock hardware. It looks pretty cool to have on the car.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Whats the cheapest and lightest fiberglass hood available? :)

It aint gotta be pretty to go fast...but it does have to be light :D

A reverse cowl hood would be nice and help with underhood temps....I dont think clearance is an issue with an LT1 due to no breather on top.

I just want to trim smore weight :)

yeah, i have the fiberglass cowl hood that jc whitney sells. it's made by legendary cars. when i bought it, it was $399 plus s&h (~$70). i bought it when i still had the 350 in my car, which certainly helped with ventilation, as well as allowing me to run a taller air cleaner with the scarab/hooker kit. the 350 tended to run a little warmer than i wanted it to (around 210 most of the time). and i did notice a drop in temperature on the order of 5 to 10 degrees on hot days compared to using the stock hood, with no other changes to anything. my 377 runs a lot cooler at an average of 180 to 190 degrees, so i dont have a basline with which to compare for this motor. i do have a new griffin radiator and taurus fan that will be going in once i get the car back from paint prison, so i am curious as to what it will run like with those changes.

you can see a pic of mine in my signature, or on my imagestation photo album. also, my friend paul has the same hood on his car:

fc8fd936.jpg