HybridZ

Best way till TDC

OK, first off because of the swap there is little room to get to the bolt holding on the hamonic balancer to turn the crank, so i have been trying to crank the car until i hit TDC. Got it yesterday but messed up and i cant get it today after a half hour of trying. Anyone know what size socket that it and what is the best way to get it to tdc. The repair manual just says turn the crank to TDC, but i have no room to even stick my hand in there to even feel the nut (hmmm sounds a little bad, huh?).

Actually, 1 1/16 was the perfect size. I managed to manually crank it just a smudge over 0 so i just backed it up a inch or two. Got everything straightened out but think i may have fouled out the plugs cranking it till it got at TDC. Didnt want to really run, so i will throw in the new plugs i hae bee saving and sees what is sappening. I got to be at work at four so not much time left.

Ok, so today i threw in some new plugs and it wouldnt crank over. Checked the crank and put it to TDC, pulled off the dizzy cap and noticed that the rotor looks like it may be a tooth off of where it should be. It looks like it is a notch back towards the number five plug. This is a pain in the arse, getting it to move one tooth. I thought it was dead on last night. Would it being off that one tooth keep it from starting. Before i did this it would start, but only run up to 10 deg, so i know it had to run if the shaft was off by some teeth. :(

It could, because if there are only say 12 teeth thats 30º! Just as an example. It may not run if its off by as much as say 10º or so, dunno.

On my F54 its impossible to put on incorrectly, because there is an obstruction which guides it in, or else it wont go in.

ok, now i have it so the rotor is exactly at the no.1 spark plug wire on the dizzy cap. Car still wont start though. It ran before it did this. I would have done some more checking but damn thunderstorms. I wonder if the belt being justa tad bit loose is preventing it from starting. It shouldnt, but i am running out of answers. It just cranks and then once in a while you will hear a pop. Maybe i should try some starting fluid. Oh, well. Cant get at it to tomarrow anyways with the storms.

Now, i have done confused myself silly. I went out to crank it a couple of mins ago since it stopped raining finally, and I only cranked it for a couple of seconds and it popped right out of the pop-off valve. This souldnt happen. This motor ran very good before this wiring mess in the swap. Then it ran decent but too far retarded. Now that i think it is right it wont start. I am lost.

Ive gone over the wire order a couple of times, and they were right. When i put it at TDC and have the distributor in the middle (as in not advanced or retarded), the rotor points to the no.1 labeled on the dizzy cap. Maybe I will give a go at it again tomarrow morning before i go to work.

I was trying but i could only turn it from underneath and couldnt reach. Maybe if i remove the carbon canister, i can reach the plug hole. I just couldnt get access to it from the top. To bad i can never get one of my friends to help me. I always seem to end up working on theres but they never seem to be around when i am working. Oh, well.

maybe i will try this so i know that is what my problem is. If it is, would i get it to the top dead center withought putting my finger on the spark plug hole considering i cant reach it? I have an idea but i cant seem to get it out right when i write it.